Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How did you find length of Amnesia?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Too short! No matter what the price would be.
7.16%
30 7.16%
Long enough. But only considering the $20 price.
32.22%
135 32.22%
Perfect! And I would think so even if it cost more.
59.67%
250 59.67%
Could have been shorter. I think events and stuff was too drawn out.
0.95%
4 0.95%
Too long. Takes up too much of my time.
0%
0 0%
Total 419 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think of the game's length?
Jimmychims Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What do you think of the game's length?

It was perfect for the price. And even though i voted "perfect" all around I cant help feeling (after paying 50$ for metro 2033) that the length of the game warranted the price alone.

Now that that is out of the way, I felt the game itself, regardless of the length, was well worth more than that.

I do feel, however, that there could have been some more reprieve from the horror in the early parts of the game, something that would have added in a bit more time on the clock. I finished both Penumbra O/BP each in 1 gaming session, something i couldnt do with amnesia due to the intensity and frequency of the scenes. But this has to do with pacing... I felt that the slow buildup of the penumbra series, the alluding to the horrors long before you see them was absent in Amnesia.

For me, Penumbra still reigns supreme in the execution of the story and the slow buildup of the tension, and when the tension escalates it slowly dies down into a more relaxing atmosphere. I began to rely on those little Cylindrical statues that served as the save points as points where i could catch my breath and relax. There was nothing of the sort in Amnesia except for the machinery and water level puzzles, and those seemed slightly out of place within the story.

But for pure horror value, the first few hours of Amnesia were so intense for me that i had to physically reassert myself (after having moaned in fear, then screamed F*CK While running from a grunt that snuck up on me) that I was still playing a game. An experience well worth 20 dollars, let alone 50. I will probably buy this game for a few friends of mine, just to support one of my favorite game devs.

If i could donate directly I would.

(09-16-2010, 04:58 PM)The Sombrero Kid Wrote: Personally i think the length was perfect but that a little more time could've been spent polishing the ending which was weaker than the rest of the game and made it end slightly flat, this might be what people were responding to when they thought it was the length, these same people probably didn't comment on the exact same time/money value proposition that was portal because the end felt suitably final.

I thought the ending was very lovecraftian; as in, even after all the horrors and atrocities the characters partake in, they are still human and still able to be destroyed. And in a sense, pathetic.

Spoiler below!
I pitied Alexander in the last scene, pitied the mental struggle he had endured to become the monster you learn to hate. The same mental struggle that Daniel goes through before he downs the Amnesia Potion.
09-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you think of the game's length? - by Jimmychims - 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM