Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: How did you find length of Amnesia?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Too short! No matter what the price would be.
7.16%
30 7.16%
Long enough. But only considering the $20 price.
32.22%
135 32.22%
Perfect! And I would think so even if it cost more.
59.67%
250 59.67%
Could have been shorter. I think events and stuff was too drawn out.
0.95%
4 0.95%
Too long. Takes up too much of my time.
0%
0 0%
Total 419 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think of the game's length?
popsUlfr Offline

Threads: 0
RE: What do you think of the game's length?

I'm not sure I can partake in this poll. I assume it wasn't your intention to make the game as short/as long as possible but create a consistent, engaging, logical experience for the player?
I also take into account the content you could effectively produce as a small team with limited resources and in that timespan.

To give you my personal stance: as such there's no "too long" in games for me. In practice there's a "too long" when the game introduces "artificial" stretches (e.g. repeat of same pattern, unneeded walks, etc... [somewhat vague I know but I might have some more clear examples later]).
A "too short" means a game that failed to convey its whole point/narrative to the player and the end credits come as surprise (I'm ok with cliffhangers, things left unexplained as long as the game could succesfully set up an overall idea of the setting and didn't leave the player in a mess of story pieces).

Your game is neither nor. There are some places where you could have used those artificial stretches I spoke of earlier, but you did not.

What I'm worried about is your definition of long. If it means giving narrative, immersion, engagement lesser priority in favour of copy-paste corridors, events/quests, "dubious" gameplay mechanics then I will be in disagreement.
09-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do you think of the game's length? - by popsUlfr - 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM