Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

It was okay
Jashin Offline

Threads: 2
RE: It was okay

(09-21-2010, 12:01 PM)Jinix Wrote: Just okay?

You are missing the point, I think.
It isn't YOU in the castle, it's whimpy sick Daniel - He already knows what's after him cannot be killed. So fear is crippling him from rational thought.

Yes you could take the game and make it into the USUAL type of game that lets you use anything for weapon and then you level up with bigger weapons and the monsters are bigger and you have all kinds of quests etc. and it would be great to play in these surroundings.

But I see this game as more like a movie. You are forced into the actors role where the actor makes you keep saying "don't open that door! You fool!" Knowing full well that's exactly what they will do'.

For me this is like the feeling I had while reading an Edgar Allan Poe story when I was about 8 and
imagining what it must be like to be bricked in behind a wall as the last brick is cemented into place and there is no way out.

Yes, just okay. No I'm not missing any point whatsoever. If without any pretext a person can have a botched experience just by "missing a point," then there's serious problems. I played the same game as everyone else.

And the monster elephant man clearly could be killed within the fiction, cus you see a disemboweled one on the ground in one of the levels. I'm not even talking about the "shadow" which was never made clear what it is. This is hardly the only shadow-based game I've played, like I said over the decade the numbers have decreased with the death of torchbearers like Look Glass and Ion Storm. I'd not compare it to literature either, the level of writing wasn't that high, understandably so as FG guys aren't native English speakers.

I think I've been fair. The castle is a nice setting, I like the scenery through the windows the most, even if it's just an illusion. However I'm simply not afraid of any of it. With the amount of shadow-based stealth games I've played that had true "patrol" and "search" algorithms which create truly tense moments, what's left for me was to soak up the atmosphere in Amnesia. I'm not here to knock it, I'm here to put my 2 cents in and say that "You know, FG still needs to work hard to improve their craft." All this praise is well-deserved for having made this game in this day and age of cookie-cutter shooters, but please stay modest cus we've got plenty of precedents.

(09-21-2010, 12:50 PM)Zanderat Wrote: I think some people missed the point of the game. Not surprising. The Xbox generation wants casualized shooters. I have seen threads complaining that this game isn't more like L4D. LOL!

lol you don't know who you're talking to. I'm just gonna dismiss your "omg360box" generalizations Rolleyes
09-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
It was okay - by Jashin - 09-19-2010, 04:45 PM
RE: It was okay - by Jinix - 09-21-2010, 12:01 PM
RE: It was okay - by Jashin - 09-23-2010, 05:04 AM
RE: It was okay - by Zanderat - 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
RE: It was okay - by Zanderat - 09-21-2010, 12:50 PM
RE: It was okay - by Zonker - 09-23-2010, 05:42 AM
RE: It was okay - by Jashin - 09-23-2010, 05:53 AM
RE: It was okay - by Jashin - 09-23-2010, 05:02 PM
RE: It was okay - by Fitzcarraldo - 09-24-2010, 06:48 PM