Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Official info on retail release in Western Europe?
Zonker Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Official info on retail release in Western Europe?

(10-02-2010, 10:46 PM)dvow Wrote: I really don't care about physical copies of games. Those are going to go extinct in the next decade anyways, so people still clinging to packaged over digital are just living in the old.

I've bought my fair share of digital distribution games on Steam / Impulse / GOG and directly from developers (like I did with Amnesia). It doesn't change the fact that I prefer physical copies if I have the chance. There are several reasons for it:
  • Some people are gamers AND collectors. A long game list in Steam isn't the same as some shelves full of boxes and cases. :)
  • There are still a lot of people who don't have broadband and I guess most of them won't have in 5-10 years, either. Games don't get smaller, though, so downloading them with <2 MBit is not a comfortable option.
  • Although they're often unneeded and their quality has decreased over the years, in some cases physical manuals are a lot better than alt-tabbing out of the game everytime to look into a PDF.
  • Collector's and Limited Editions are still a way for companies to get more money out of games. They have more appeal to buy than just some extra ingame items.
As with books and ebooks, I don't think games and "egames" will replace each other in the near future. Different people have different reasons to buy one or another. And for small developers like Frictional, digital distribution is a good and less risky way to publish and sell their games. I'd be happy if it gives them enough financial backup and publicity to release a retail copy, too.
10-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official info on retail release in Western Europe? - by Zonker - 10-03-2010, 04:54 PM