Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Conlanguages?
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: Conlanguages?

(09-10-2016, 01:31 AM)Petike Wrote: Have some pals and acquaintances who are into this as a hobby, but my worldbuilding forays have rarely involved creating languages. Though I've worked on a writing script for a fantasy universe I've been slowly developing in the last few years. It uses an alphabetical system and developed in a similar manner to how Latin script developed from Greek letters and those in turn from Phoenician letters. Unlike that example, though, the look of my fictional script is based on tifinagh script and other old Berber scripts. There is still an existing historical connection between these and the Phoenician script, so it's suitably different for the purposes of my world, but something people would still find familiar enough (even though my final alphabet doesn't have a single letter that's clearly based on Latin alphabet ones).

About the only time I did conlanging was when I made a short vocabulary and basic grammar for a group of people from an alternate history story I wrote. The divergence occured in prehistoric times, with the Doggerland "landmass" that sunk beneath the rising North Sea after the end of the last ice age somehow preserved. I know it's not very plausible, but I wrote the whole thing as more of a thought experiment than a serious alternate history. That said, it at least had rigorous causality beyond the divergence, so early European history started developing very differently due to the presence of an extra peninsula and Britain actually having a land bridge with Europe, thus forming a sort of weird subcontinent in NW Europe.

I made the language for one of the early nations that developed from a confederation of tribes who once inhabited the north of this allohistorical "Doggerland peninsula". Over time, the nation became wealthy enough to compete with its neighbours and they even tried to expand and become a smaller empire, though they had mixed successes with that. Most of the narrative was set in prehistory or in what would be early antiquity in our world, but I had a brief glimpse into the future, where the world had roughly 18th century levels of technology and development even in the equivalent of our mid 20th century.

Should I post some examples from my alternate prehistoric conlang ? It's rather ramshackle in places, but you might find parts of it interesting.
By all means, yes.
09-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Conlanguages? - by Red - 06-01-2016, 01:19 AM
RE: Conlanguages? - by Darkfire - 06-03-2016, 08:29 PM
RE: Conlanguages? - by Red - 09-08-2016, 08:15 PM
RE: Conlanguages? - by Petike - 09-10-2016, 01:31 AM
RE: Conlanguages? - by Red - 09-10-2016, 09:51 PM
RE: Conlanguages? - by Petike - 09-13-2016, 11:38 PM
RE: Conlanguages? - by Slanderous - 09-11-2016, 10:04 PM
RE: Conlanguages? - by Red - 09-14-2016, 03:43 PM