The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SOLVED] Setting up the tools on a clean 1.1 retail install and 1.3.1 update on top
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
[SOLVED] Setting up the tools on a clean 1.1 retail install and 1.3.1 update on top

Hello, everyone.

A few years ago, I did some TDD modding, but didn't get too far, as I was busy at the time. Now I'm getting back into modding, but it's been almost five years and the TDD modder scene has come quite a long way since then. So have the updates for HPL2 and the modding tools. I've decided to ask for some advice on how to set up the most recent versions of the updates, before I do anything hasty.

On that note, I have a backed up version of a clean 1.1 install, and a backup of a 1.1 with the 1.3.1 update installed on top of it. So, if anything goes wrong, I can revert it fairly quickly.

Onto the meat of the matter...

Did I apply the latest update (1.3.1) correctly ?

I went to the thread with the final update, downloaded the Windows version (at the moment, I'm running 7, 32 bit), then installed it into my Amnesia folder. Everything went fine, the game works just as before, the content is there. I'm not entirely sure the 1.3.1 update is active, but just installing the added files into the folder didn't break anything in 1.1.

My current folder structure

After I installed the 1.3.1 update yesterday on the clean 1.1 install, stuff was obviously added to my Amnesia folder. Most of the major stuff went into the existing redist folder and the newly created "1.3_update" folder. So far, so good ?

Note that I did not install any of the older updates for 1.1, such as 1.2 and similar. I only had that basic, out-of-the-box clean install, and I had the 1.3.1 update install on top of it. (Just so there's no misunderstanding in this thread.)

Below are some images showing the current state of the folders:

.png   petike_amnesia_game_folder.png (Size: 171.62 KB / Downloads: 118)

The game folder itself.

.png   petike_amnesia_redist_folder.png (Size: 84.4 KB / Downloads: 110)

The redist folder.

.png   petike_amnesia_1.3update_install_files_folder.png (Size: 34.18 KB / Downloads: 115)

The "1.3_update" folder that was added with the 1.3.1 folder. (Technically, it also includes the "install_files" folder, with the Windows redistributable stuff for various bit platforms.)

Is there anything wrong with the folders in their current state ? Do I need to move anything ?

I've noticed there are some additional files in the redist folder, inluding new executables for the game and its launcher. Should I overwrite my 1.1 exes with these ?

The 1.3.1 editor suite's proper location ?

I don't quite remember where the editor suite's supposed to be placed. Blush

I've installed the latest version of the suite - 1.3, to go with the 1.3.1 final update - into the main Amnesia folder. I know the executables of the specific editors need to be in the redist folders to work. But do the accompanying two folders of the suite also need to be placed there ? Currently, I have 1.3's "viewer" and "editor" folders in the main one, so should I move them to redist, and do the same with the editor exes ?

I still have the old editor suite from back in 2011 or thereabouts and I've compared the contents of the two packs, just out of curiosity. Aside from the updating done to the files, there aren't that many new files included in 1.3. The old suite seems to have a few PDB files lying around next to the old editor executables, but I suppose those are just some old logs for the exes I might have forgotten to delete.

Feel free to criticise and advise

I'll be grateful for any advice and criticism on whether I've set up the 1.3.1 update and 1.3 tools stuff correctly. Thanks in advance, guys ! Smile

As I don't have experience yet with these latest updates, I've decided to play it safe and not experiment with file and folder placement on my own. I want to be certain I have everything right first, with basic functionality possible. Then I'll finally set up a dev environment again and try tinkering with the editors. Phew, it's been years...

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016, 01:14 PM by Petike.)
10-17-2016, 11:30 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
[SOLVED] Setting up the tools on a clean 1.1 retail install and 1.3.1 update on top - by Petike - 10-17-2016, 11:30 PM