Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress)
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress)

After a little bit of figuring out, I've got pathing working. This was an interesting challenge, though. The built-in pathfinding solution in HPL3 is designed for modern 3D style gameplay, but the pathing for Wolfenstein 3D is still quite tile-based. While I probably could've finagled it to work, it probably would've been just as much work to implement my own thing (if not easier). So that's what I did.

In the following video, the guard's path is generated dynamically (albeit at the press of a button) using a custom A* implementation, which the entity then follows. Along the way, it updates the sprite based on whether it is walking and for how long. As a result, you've got your old-school sprite-based and tile-based enemy pathing.

I still have to wire up the guard's AI states so that it will patrol automatically (not to mention notice and attack the player), but this was a major hurdle and it feels good to get past it.

09-10-2017, 03:51 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress) - by Abion47 - 08-29-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress) - by Abion47 - 09-10-2017, 03:51 AM