Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress)
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22
RE: Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress)

Welp, here we have it. The first major milestone.

By this, I, of course, mean the mod now has both enemies at you and the ability for you to shoot back. This was an interesting challenge, to say the least. The fortunate thing is that I didn't end up needing to use cMath_Vector3Angle or cLux_GetClosestEntity to accomplish it. In fact, other than a call to CheckIsOnScreen to make sure the target is actually visible, I didn't need to use raycasting at all. Just a simple check of the angle between the camera and the target sufficed.

Now obviously the only reason I was able to get away with doing it like this was because of the nature of Wolf3D. It being essentially a 2D game (don't let the 3D graphics fool you) and driven by pixel art instead of polygons, using angles alone was able to work. Had the game been even slightly more complex (like, say, Doom), I would've had little choice but to resort to raycasts and hit tests, and I'll be honest - after all the drama yesterday regarding cMath_Vector3Angle, I was not eager to get back on that horse.

Anyway, with this, the mod is now officially playable. You can go through shooting and killing Nazis who are trying to do the same to you, and killing a guard will cause ammo to drop where he died. To demonstrate, here's a pretty basic run through of the mod's entire first level. (Attack dogs, unfortunately, aren't quite implemented yet.)

(Disregard the enemy around 1:36. It was an old placeholder billboard that I somehow missed when converting them to proper enemy entities.)

Of course, the enemies are still pretty stupid as evidenced by how easy it is to ambush them. (You could gun down their friend standing two feet away and they literally couldn't care less.) There are also some tweaks that I need to do to the damage formula, as right now getting one-shots on guards is a bit too easy. However, this is a major step in the progress of the mod. After those and a couple other changes, the game itself will essentially be done. After that, I plan to remake the menu system as well to be reminiscent of Wolf3D. (Complete with persistent high score boards. Tongue ) I also plan on making the levels for the rest of episode 1, including the secret level, so that will be 10 levels in total for the finished mod. (I'd consider doing more, but I'd worry that id/Bethesda might not be to keen on me essentially re-uploading a free copy of their game somewhere without their permission. :/ )

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2017, 06:53 AM by Abion47.)
09-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress) - by Abion47 - 08-29-2017, 09:45 AM
RE: Wolfenstein 3D Port (In Progress) - by Abion47 - 09-13-2017, 06:32 AM