Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

Quote: I'm not saying games should be unfairly hard, because after a while thatstuff starts to annoy you more than make you afraid, but games should not be easy in the interest of "immersion". That kind of design is completely transparent. Just to be clear, I consider both Penumbra and Amnesia to be difficult games. I think they struck a very nice balance in both cases and managed to create an oppressive, hostile and unhelpful game.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I think Amnesia had perfect difficulty, there's no need to give the monsters an even bigger advantage over the player. Making them more varied and giving the player different challenges to overcome would be great, but many ideas aim to create an unfairly hard challenge by including insta-kills or unescapable situations which I don't believe will help much except for an initial scare effect that gets quickly replaced by annoyance.
Quote: The key word here is "perception". I think that, instead of increasing actual difficulty to increase fear, FG will work towards making the perceived difficulty as high as possible (or appropriate).
Couldn't have said it better Big Grin Amnesia already does this quite well - when playing for the first time you often think you could die any second, but in the end you realize you only died maybe once or twice, because the game secretly always stayed fair in its challenges. That's very elegant design!
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM