Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

All very well said Alardem.

I think they could have experimented with more psychological and "alternate" scares.

Example, I was playing Siren: Blood Curse a year and a half ago and it had that japanese horror vibe I enjoy. You had weapons (sometimes and as some characters) but that didn't really affect the excellent atmosphere. The enemies were humans but they looked ''off'' JUST enough to be scary. And rarely did I go out of my way to kill them when I had weapons because they were immortal. So whenever I could I just ran or hid from them, because i'd rather have them moving around than ''dead'' on the floor. Can't tell you how many times I was disturbed by NOT seeing the corpse where I'd left it and worrying about it.

But that's not what I meant with experimenting.

The Siren series has a cool little ''gimmick'' in which you can see through the enemies' eyes. It's used as a sort of way to know if they're near, what they're looking at, what they're doing and etc. This gimmick lent itself to two of my favorite, unscripted, videogame horror moments.

In the first one I was just looking through their eyes to see where they were when one of them seemed really ''excited'' and fussy. I kept looking through his eyes, it seem frenzied, looking for something. It kept saying something but it was in japanese (a language i'm not familiar with). All of the sudden I see myself through its eyes when I realize ''oh shit...it saw me!''

In the second moment I was looking through the eyes of a frenzied enemy again. I was nervous but I kept looking. I couldn't see anything in front of it. Some time passed and I kept looking (I was afraid and didn't want to keep moving Sad). All of the sudden there's a silhouette in the thing's horizon. It kept getting closer and closer and closer. All of the sudden the silhouette screams out in terror and it begins trying to defend herself while I watched. It found the young woman I had left behind (to protect her, ironically enough). So it was this really shocking moment where I saw the young woman's near demise ( I sprinted back to her and saved her) through the eyes of the attacker.

TLDR; some/more alternate/psychological scares would have helped a LOT.
11-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - by Cuyir - 11-04-2013, 08:04 PM