Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
flcn27 Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

(11-25-2010, 06:36 PM)PvtLastClass Wrote: While the immediate moments a lot of people are suggesting would in fact be pretty freaky, they have one main problem; they are too "designed". 5 seconds after the player finishes that moment, it would be pretty obvious to them that that was a very deliberate and constructed attempt to scare them, remind them that what they're playing is just a video game by a bunch of designers, and settle themselves back into playing.

I know I won't defend it too often in games, but what made Amnesia scary pretty often was realism. Making the experience feel somewhat real - like something that could actually happen to you - makes it all the more scary. Arms coming from curtains? Scripted sequences? They don't quite do it. I want it to seem like a monster was just wandering around as his stupid self, and happened to find me. Obvious teleportation and smartly sneaking up on me would just sort of ruin that experience.

I agree. There's also a chance that after a while you'll learn when to expect these scary moments. We don't need Amnesia to become like FEAR/Dead Space. Amnesia is scary all the time.

11-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - by flcn27 - 11-26-2010, 12:57 PM