Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
Aphotic Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

(11-15-2010, 11:18 PM)SeanzBeanz Wrote: * Although the torture scenes were very scary to listen to, i think it would have added to the atmosphere if you actualy experienced some of them. Not all, just some.

Oh yes, let's please watch the Cradle in action. Tongue /vomit

The game itself was incredibly scary, definitely scared me more than any movie I've watched. I think the largest contributor to this were the atmospheric constants. I actually had a nightmare last night that included that very low "zombie groan" ambient sound that you can hear in several parts.

Several things that would have made it scarier, and sorry if they've been mentioned, I only browsed through the posts:

1. Make the darkness...dark. More often than not I found the darkness itself as more of an inconvenience than a fright factor, especially with how quickly your vision adjusts. I don't know about you guys, but in my pitch black room at night, it takes at LEAST a few minutes for my eyes to substantially adjust, and even then, it's difficult to see. As was mentioned before, it was too easy ending the game with excess of stuff. The darkness itself also needs to be worked on in the way it affects the player. I found it really immersion-breaking when I was in relatively lit areas but my sanity was on edge, but on the flip side in dark areas with just a puny candle, looking out into infinite blackness, my sanity was not even slightly affected.

2. That leads me to number two, sanity. I like how sanity affected how disoriented you became and your vision itself, as well as the bugs crawling across your screen. But, for as scary as the game was, there was always this hunger for the game to drive me absolutely bonkers. In my opinion there was plenty of room for many stronger hallucinations and very scary sequences. To whoever said that curtains reaching out with arms would break the realism, a hallucination is a hallucination. And regardless of how realistic a curtain reaching with arms would be, we, as the player, would not be able to know whether Daniel was hallucinating or not, and whether there was a real threat involved. What provided the scares wasn't the level of realism, but the inability to tell what was "real" in terms of what Daniel was experience, and what wasn't.

3. Traps, and fewer save points. There should have been more points in the game where you could have irreversibly trapped yourself, or where there were real threats lurking. True, the game did scare me witless, but in retrospect, much of what I experienced through Daniel was mostly harmless. And the repercussions for 'dying' should have been much steeper. This could have been done with save points far and few between, OR making it so that you don't truly die, but wake with minimal health and minimal sanity.
12-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - by Aphotic - 12-03-2010, 08:26 AM