Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
tbirds Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

To all of you who are complaining about the scripted encounters with the monsters, I kind of agree with you and I kind of don't.

Yes, having encounters be non-scripted and the monster roaming freely around the map would make the game a lot more unpredictable and make the player constantly feel vulnerable. But I feel that having some scripted events at the right times does make the game scarier. For example, having the monster attack you in a brightly lit room could catch the player off guard as opposed to having him appear in a dark room where most players would expect it.

In addition, think about the beginning of the game. The player does not encounter the monster for the first time until a they're a good portion into the game. But before that, even though they had not seen seen a monster that whole time, they were probably scaring themself. When I first started playing, I could barely go through more than two rooms before quitting the game because the sounds and the environment scared me and convinced me that I would encounter the monster at any moment. But it took me a while to see him for the first time and I kept psyching myself out. But if the monster roamed the map randomly during the beginning, the game wouldn't have messed with head nearly as much. If I had seen the monster as soon as I entered the first hallway, I'd be scared at that moment, but I wouldn't be paralyzed with fear later on while walking through empty rooms because the game wouldn't create that same suspense.
09-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier - by tbirds - 09-01-2011, 08:03 AM