Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fraps + Games in general
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18
RE: Fraps + Games in general

If you are putting stuff on youtube, use 30fps for recording, this will half your file-sizes straight away if you are recording at 60fps - and youtube plays back at 30 anyway.
Secondly, i highly recommend virtual dub for appending your fraps clips together, it is free and a very useful program if you want to get around to more advanced stuff later, as it supports avisynth. For basic usage though it is also pretty friendly:

1. Open up virtual dub
  2. open the fraps clip 1 avi
  3. then go to file -> append avi segment and select another clip
  4. repeat until you have loaded in all your clips (it can auto-detect segments to add too!)
  5. go to video -> compression choose lagarith lossless codec
  6. chose save as and save your file!
This will encode the avi into a better compressed, but completely lossless format (lagarith). You can then load this into any editing program (like movie maker) and compress further for youtube use (plenty of tutorials on the net for optimal settings for this). Note if you don't have lagarith lossless codec, google it and download it - it is loads better than the fraps codec and isn't prone to inserting junk frames into your footage when decoding two clips. If you have experience with batch files you can actually just write a file to do all this automatically for you.

Virtual dub also supports saving the avi file in segments, and exporting into a gif and other fun stuff. Of course, you can also delete sections of the footage too - there is plenty to play around with.

Finally, a note on fraps:
For OpenGL games (like amnesia), fraps is by far and away the best capture program i've used. Playclaw is pretty good too, but that was having some MAJOR audio sync problems last time I checked up on it. Just make sure you have a fast enough hard disk, and plenty of free space (by plenty, I mean much more than you need - having your file get fragmented will most-likely drop some frames).
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2011, 01:08 AM by Apjjm.)
08-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Fraps + Games in general - by BendyBread - 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
RE: Fraps + Games in general - by TFEF - 08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
RE: Fraps + Games in general - by Yuhaney - 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM
RE: Fraps + Games in general - by Apjjm - 08-03-2011, 12:57 AM
RE: Fraps + Games in general - by BendyBread - 08-04-2011, 07:49 AM