Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A shooter guy playing Overture
luther's caption Offline

Threads: 6
A shooter guy playing Overture

Hello I'm new here. I'm a big horror movie fan so I thought I'd try these Penumbra demo's (despite me being a bit of a wuss when playing scary games).
I usually play shooters, so should I play at the easiest setting? I'm not used to using my old brain to solve puzzles and stuff. Smile
Thanks.

-luther's caption
08-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: A shooter guy playing Overture

Hello, you really should play all three episodes in order:

Overture
Black Plague
Requiem

Please don't play the demo, buy the full game collection.
If you are a real horror fan, this will let you feel one of the best horror you can imagine.
Penumbra involves the player more as in other horror games.

I think, that enemies in normal setting have a bit less live energy as in easy difficult. The game is hard for a newbie, but that is a horror game, not a fun game!

I recommend you to play in "normal" setting.

And you should not let the Amnesia demo untested!
http://www.amnesiagame.com

But the demo shows not the cruel horror of the full game.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM by Googolplex.)
08-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Find
luther's caption Offline

(08-30-2011, 05:51 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Please don't play the demo, buy the full game collection.
If you are a real horror fan, this will let you feel one of the best horror you can imagine.
Penumbra involves the player more as in other horror games.

I think, that enemies in normal setting have a bit less live energy as in easy difficult. The game is hard for a newbie, but that is a horror game, not a fun game!

I recommend you to play in "normal" setting.

And you should not let the Amnesia demo untested!
http://www.amnesiagame.com

But the demo shows not the cruel horror of the full game.

Aren't all the demos 1 (or 2) full levels of the complete game?
I really want to play the demos first because if I get too scared to play them it would be a bit stupid buying the full games and then never playing them. To give you an idea of the state of my nerves : I even have some difficulty watching ingame Amnesia clips on YouTube ...

If the game's too hard on "normal" difficulty I'm afraid I'll just give up, I can't be bothered playing the same level 5 or more times. Unless when you die (like I read in the Amnesia manual), something changes in the game and you don't have to replay the level, but then what actually changes later on in the level?
I don't like being kept in the dark (pun intended) regarding these changes.
08-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

What changes if/when you die, is your understanding of the challenge of the level and how you should or should not approach it. You should probably be 'fine'/terrified but progressing if you have a lot of shooter/gaming experience to draw on. Hope you're good at reading and thinking.

Instead of quitting in frustration, you can post on these forums if you die 5 or more times in an area for some suggestion on how to approach the situation. Just don't go shooting me by mistake, ok?
08-31-2011, 04:29 AM
Find
Patacorow Offline

Threads: 11

I'd actually recommend changing it to 'Hard'. It adds a lot.

I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you're into spooky movies and other stuff.

Note that penumbra (and amnesia) doesn't focus on that jumpy "BOO!" moment, it creates a tense atmosphere that will chill you to your bones.
08-31-2011, 06:42 AM
Find
BendyBread Offline

Threads: 2

What IS the difference between hard and easy modes for penumbra?

On topic: Dead Space 2 and other semi-horror games are a joke next to the Penumbra series. The ability to fight back really takes away from the horror, so this'll be all new to you; running and hiding.
Like Patacorov said, its not about jumpscares every 10 minutes. The game itself is one long scare that makes you want to cower in the corner screaming for the most part.
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2011, 01:45 PM by BendyBread.)
08-31-2011, 01:44 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(08-31-2011, 06:42 AM)Patacorow Wrote: It adds a lot.

Oh, I'm really surprised! Can you say me, what will be added?

(08-30-2011, 11:16 PM)luthers caption Wrote: Aren't all the demos 1 (or 2) full levels of the complete game?

There is only one demo called "Tech-Demo", which is full playable and shows some technics of the following official game.
The official full game was released a year later and has nothing common with this demo.

Then there are "normal" demos of each game episode (Overture, Black Plague and Requiem). But they don't have the full levels, they are very short.

Play the full game, only this is a real Penumbra game.

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2011, 05:12 PM by Googolplex.)
08-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Find
luther's caption Offline

(08-31-2011, 04:29 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: Instead of quitting in frustration, you can post on these forums if you die 5 or more times in an area for some suggestion on how to approach the situation. Just don't go shooting me by mistake, ok?
Thanks I'll do that (not the shooting bit) if I decide to buy it.

(08-31-2011, 06:42 AM)Patacorow Wrote: I'd actually recommend changing it to 'Hard'. It adds a lot.
I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you're into spooky movies and other stuff.
Dunno, I've never even finished a shooter on anything other than Easy, I'm just a casual gamer.
I like creepy movies but in those you're safe. In a game you're in control so it's very different.

(08-31-2011, 01:44 PM)BendyBread Wrote: On topic: Dead Space 2 and other semi-horror games are a joke next to the Penumbra series. The ability to fight back really takes away from the horror, so this'll be all new to you; running and hiding.
Like Patacorov said, its not about jumpscares every 10 minutes. The game itself is one long scare that makes you want to cower in the corner screaming for the most part.
That's what I feared lol. When a scary scene comes only every 20 minutes or so, you can't get used to it so it becomes more intense.
I have pretty weak nerves (gotta take pills to relax) so I'm still doubting whether I should play it at all.

(08-31-2011, 05:03 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Play the full game, only this is a real Penumbra game.
For most people the quote "one of the most scary games ever" might be something great or cool, but that's not the case with me. A game can become TOO scary for some people to play and I could be one of them.

08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Find