Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Frictional Games should make a game like this
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Frictional Games should make a game like this

They should not make an other Amnesia, because it is an other kind of horror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8FBRATbJ...re=related

This is the horror I fear the most.
Very dark tunnels in an old expired house with green night vision aid.
And very strange things happened there, you should find shredded bloody bodies on the ground and you hear someone crying in the next room.

This game should be a pure nightmare. I even prefer a game without monsters only with psychical minds and strange cruel happenings.

This would be more horror than Amnesia, if they would make it really scary.
Monsters are not scary, it is more scary, if you only see a shadow of one.
Or hear a little girl crying behind you.
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2011, 06:49 PM by Googolplex.)
09-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Find
Spummy Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Frictional Games should make a game like this

(09-01-2011, 06:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: They should not make an other Amnesia, because it is an other kind of horror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8FBRATbJ...re=related

This is the horror I fear the most.
Very dark tunnels in an old expired house with green night vision aid.
And very strange things happened there, you should find shredded bloody bodies on the ground and you hear someone crying in the next room.

This game should be a pure nightmare. I even prefer a game without monsters only with psychical minds and strange cruel happenings.

This would be more horror than Amnesia, if they would make it really scary.
Monsters are not scary, it is more scary, if you only see a shadow of one.
Or hear a little girl crying behind you.

Well, since you decided to throw your opinion out there, I guess you were prepared for disagreement.

And on that note, I completely disagree. That film looks like another cliche indie found-footage horror film. Dime-a-dozen and a dime overpriced.

I also, don't find games were you just randomly see things out of the corner of your eye, but never actually encounter anything, scary. Because after the first hour or so you figure out that nothing is actually going to happen. It's like a house of horrors theme-park ride. You go from place to place and things jump out at you right on their fixed cue. But you're never in any danger. There isn't actually anything to fear.

The total opposite where there's constant monsters is also wrong, but it's about the balance so there is some actual danger but not desensitization. Which Amnesia gets fairly right. At least more so than anything else I've played.

And as rather off-topic side note. I for one, want to know why do so many people find little children scary? They're children. What the hell has happened in your life to make you so afraid of children?
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2011, 10:23 PM by Spummy.)
09-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Find
luther's caption Offline

Threads: 6

(09-01-2011, 10:21 PM)Spummy Wrote: I for one, want to know why do so many people find little children scary? They're children. What the hell has happened in your life to make you so afraid of children?

Playing F.E.A.R.? Tongue

09-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

To tell you the truth, something similar like this would be perfect for a custom story, if pulled off right. However, dark tunnels (especially if we consider night-vision goggles), seeing just shadows, and seeing shredded bodies isn't the idea i have in mind. I think i'll add this to my custom story ideas list.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

You know to be honest that movie looks REALLY REALLY shitty. If they want to make a really great horror game, it shouldn't focus on physical horror but more psycological horror. Sure physical horror gets your heart rushing and tends to make people panic but in comparison to psycological horror it's nothing. Have you ever read a really scary sttory or seen a really scary movie that kept you up at night from fear? Then you know what i'm talking about. Sure running from a guy with a chainsaw gets your heart rushing but thinking "what if some guy came to my house and tried to kill me with a chainsaw?" Can be mentaly drain. Just the thought of that event happening can be more terrifying then the actual event happening. Personally that's the direction I think they should be going with there work

Posting Freak
09-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Website Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

(09-02-2011, 01:29 AM)luthers caption Wrote:
(09-01-2011, 10:21 PM)Spummy Wrote: I for one, want to know why do so many people find little children scary? They're children. What the hell has happened in your life to make you so afraid of children?

Playing F.E.A.R.? Tongue

<troll face>
09-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(09-02-2011, 01:29 AM)luthers caption Wrote:

Playing F.E.A.R.? Tongue

OMIGOSH A LITTLE GIRL APPEARED IN A CORNER
THEN I BLEW A BUNCH OF CLONE SOLDIERS APART WITH A FUCKING AWESOME SHOTGUN

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Website Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

Children can be more frightening because there is an expectation of innocence and frailty. When a man becomes dangerous, that's less of a shock than a child becoming dangerous. A child is understood to be more simple than an adult. If a child behaves precociously, sees things adults do not, it circumvents more expectations of the viewers, and is thus more evocative.

In many ways you could see it as a crutch to support the story rather than an effective tool of scary stories, but I think it can be used powerfully in skilled hands, like the movie Joshua.

I think the point of the OP is that being scared is about not knowing what's going to happen. You can be scared of the monsters, but it's a more pervasive fright if you don't know where they are, what they'll do, when to expect them. Being off balance and uncertain of the future, except that it will be dangerous.
09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Find