Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animations
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Animations

Thank you MrBigzy, I have weighted the joints properly, it's just i'm not so sure about the terminologies...

Anyways, I think i've found the problem, I have naively thought that animation was just moving a few joints, then setting some keys, but as you said, I must use the graph editor.. Also, I have read a page, and I think I know my problem

Quote:Euler-angled rotation is prone to artifacts such as gimbal lock and flipping. Gimbal lock occurs when rotations about a single axis cause unwanted rotations about complementary axes or when axes become coincident. Flipping occurs when angles unexpectedly wrap around positive or negative 180 degrees during Euler-angled rotation interpolation between keyframes.
So thanks again for all the help. I think graph editor is the solution

Edit: It's fixed! I applied a filter in the graph editor, and now the rotation is much better. Thanks very much!

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2011, 03:56 PM by DRedshot.)
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

No problem. Big Grin
09-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Sorry for bringing this up again... I get a Black Box error whenever I load the map which contains my Monster... I have tried a lot of things already, at first I thought it was the names of the animations in model editor, but i've triple checked now, and they are all identical to the brute animations...

Here are the details of the crash:

Quote:Amnesia.exe caused an EXEPTION_INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO in module Amnesia.exe at (lots of digits)
Now I've made sure my .hps contains no strange mathematical errors which could cause a divide by zero, and I have commented out every function except OnStart(){} OnEnter(){} OnLeave(){}

Here are a couple of errors I found in the HPL.log

Quote:
-------- Loading map 'map_well.map' ---------
Cache Loading: 2953 ms
Entities: 3138 ms
Compilation: 1 ms
Total: 6124 ms
Meshes created: 14
Bodies created: 11
-------- Loading complete ---------
WARNING: AI node type 'Default' does not exist!
ERROR: No node container found for enemy 'Scary_Monster_1'
-------- Debug window closed!
I am assuming I have gone wrong somewhere when applying the animations in ModelEditor, but I don't know where...

09-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Find
Mosnye Offline

Threads: 3

Bumping for interest on how to fix it.

[Image: a.jpg]
09-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Website Find
MrBigzy Offline

Is the monster set as a grunt type monster in the model editor? Even if it already is, you need to name the animations EXACTLY the same as the grunt's when adding them in the model editor (not the file name).
09-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Yeah, I made sure that all the animations have exactly the same names. I have named them in settings>animations.

One thing I cannot do is Add Events to the animations... It says 'Error, Animation not saved due to blank fields.' It seems the blank spaces are the ones in Value, when the type is 'Step'... I am copying the grunt exactly, and the grunt has blank values. If I don't use any step type events, the animations saves.

What do I put in the "Value" field, when the type is "Step? - I think this be the solution!

Edit: I tried spawning him with "CreateEntityAtArea" and it crashed (unsurprisingly) however, when I checked the log, I have a new error!

-------- Debug window closed!
ERROR: Error in GetAngle 3D code! ARGHHH run in terror

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 11:41 AM by DRedshot.)
09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Someone told me they had this problem too, with the blank field. I can't remember exactly what they did; I think they changed the animation file name to something different. As for the step thing, those are just events for step sounds I think, when the enemy runs/walks on the floor.

If it still doesn't work, upload everything and post it here.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2011, 04:16 PM by MrBigzy.)
09-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Find
DRedshot Offline

Ok, I'll upload it now, I'll warn you though - the animations are terrible, and a lot of them are identical at the moment. Untill I know the solution I'm not going to bother creating unique animations ...

-- edit: removed link to avoid spoilers

(This post was last modified: 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM by DRedshot.)
09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Yeah, I made a test monster to test the mechanics of it all too before I started on anything.

I'll download it and take a look a little later.
09-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Well there's a few issues I saw.

-You should have the name of the object in the scene the same name as the file.
-The monster was WAY too big. Gotta scale it down. And you can't scale down the skin, you have to detach it first, scale down the joints and mesh while unbinded, and then bind again.

I exported okay but the mesh was f'd up, I probably didn't normalize weights or something. I'll take a look later on when I get back from uni (first day Sad ).
09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Find