Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intangible appearing planes
Bennick Offline

Threads: 27
Intangible appearing planes

I had an idea for a hard to reach easter egg that I would like to implement. It requires using a custom texture and somehow making planes that can be set active/inactive. Is anything like this possible? Not terribly important if it is/isn't. Big Grin

Fratricide (title not finalized): 2/7 maps. :D
09-26-2011, 04:59 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Intangible appearing planes

(09-26-2011, 04:59 AM)Bennick Wrote: I had an idea for a hard to reach easter egg that I would like to implement. It requires using a custom texture and somehow making planes that can be set active/inactive. Is anything like this possible? Not terribly important if it is/isn't. Big Grin
You should be able to just make an entity similar to the childsnake blood pool found in Entities>Special>childsnake_floor_water

As to how you would go about making such a thing...I, unfortunately, have no idea.
09-26-2011, 05:53 AM
Find
Gilgamesh Offline

Threads: 0

Absolutely no idea how to do it per se, but could you have two different planes, one that collides and one that does not. Then switch them?
I don't even know if I got your idea right.
09-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

You would only be able to set a plane with or without collides in the editor I think. You would have to create two plane entities and use scripting to switch them. You could open the block box in the model editor and create 2 different entities that way, and change the entity variables to have one with collides and one without. Make sure to change the name of the entity and match it with the name of the texture though (it should display properly over it). You'd also have to make the .mat file for the texture with the material editor.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM by MrBigzy.)
09-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Find
Bennick Offline

Threads: 27

(09-26-2011, 01:28 PM)MrBigzy Wrote: You would only be able to set a plane with or without collides in the editor I think. You would have to create two plane entities and use scripting to switch them. You could open the block box in the model editor and create 2 different entities that way, and change the entity variables to have one with collides and one without. Make sure to change the name of the entity and match it with the name of the texture though (it should display properly over it). You'd also have to make the .mat file for the texture with the material editor.
You definitely can set non colliding planes and I know how to do that, but why would I need to have one that collides necessarily? I always wondered too, what's a block box? And what kind of picture files can I import into the material editor?

Fratricide (title not finalized): 2/7 maps. :D
09-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

I mean that you can set non colliding planes, but you probably can't change them to colliding using scripting (and I know you can't set them as inactive using scripts). That's why entities would have to be used.

I thought you meant that you wanted to have it solid, and then non-solid but still there, but I guess you mean just active and then inactive after, sorry.

Block box is just the name of an entity in the game. It's just a rectangle entity with no texture that's been changed to be made invisible, but have physics at the same time, so it acts as an invisible barrier, hence why they named it block_box.

So, if I get what you're saying, all you need to do is create 1 entity. You can probably use the black_plane entity. So you can open up the model editor with it and save it as a new .ent file. When using the material editor, you need to use .dds format (in most cases). Make sure you name the material the same as the ent file you make.
09-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(09-26-2011, 02:36 PM)Bennick Wrote: And what kind of picture files can I import into the material editor?

Technically, any that DevIL supports (which is a lot), but i've only ever used JPG, PNG and DDS for Amnesia.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Website Find