Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux Version Available for Sale
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Linux Version Available for Sale

In case you have notices the Linux version of Penumbra: Overture is now for sale online at http://www.penumbra-overture.com/buy.php

If you run into any issues please visit the linux Technical support forum and make sure to post what system you are running (CPU/video card) and what linux distribution (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc..) with the version and architecture (x86, x86_64). Also be sure to check the hpl.log file that is in the ~/.frictionalgames/Penumbra Overture/Episode 1 directory and attach it/post it to your thread post on the tech support forum.

Also be sure to read the FAQ at the top of the Tech support forum.

Anyways, Enjoy playing Penumbra: Overture in Linux.

P.S.

I AM working on the Mac Version.. There, unfortuntely is a show stopping issue that I am neck deep in trying to fix. So, please sit tight, as I will get it out as soon as it is ready.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
05-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Website Find
jagwah Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Linux Version Available for Sale

Thank you very much, heading over to buy it now Smile

Come on people, support this if you can, buying the products is the best way to send out the message to distributors/developers, and maybe get Linux support in more games.

Well done Frictional Games, (I've only got 2 thumbs, but they are both UP)

Thanks
05-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Find
aidanr Offline

yup thanks, playing through it now

man it's creepy, i gotta take a break Smile
05-27-2007, 02:48 AM
Find
Emon Offline

I have the boxed Windows version. Is there any way I can get the native binaries so that I can play it on Linux? Particularly because driver bugs in Vista are making it rather difficult.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the FAQ. I'd like to support you guys but I gotta say paying another $20 for the Linux version is pretty lame. Sad
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM by final remix.)
06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Find
Zygfryd Offline

Emon Wrote:Edit: Nevermind, I found the FAQ. I'd like to support you guys but I gotta say paying another $20 for the Linux version is pretty lame. Sad
I second that.
I'm happy to pay $20 for every short episode for Linux, but I'm not paying again to be able to play on different OSes. Same product compiled for different platforms...
Also, I doubt engineering a triple-OS box release is hard, especially that fitting it on a CD is not problematic.
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Find
Emon Offline

The main rationale behind not paying another $20 is that it didn't take the same amount of work to port it to Linux and OS X as it did to originally make the game. It uses SDL, so all the gritty work is already done for them.

I understand the desire for compensation, but something like $5 for a download of the Linux binaries would be much more reasonable.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2007, 11:29 PM by final remix.)
06-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Find
elsenator Offline

Threads: 1

Great! I actually decided not to buy Penumbra since it seemed to be for Windows. But i decided to check out the page again today, and to my surprise a Linux version was available! I immediately bought it, and i am downloading it as we speak.

Dudes, this is awesome! Finally a great game that doesn't crave Windoze. Big Grin

I hope you keep this trend for the coming episodes. I'll be on-board, i promise!
06-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Find
Linux.Blue Offline

Threads: 30

elsenator Wrote:Great! I actually decided not to buy Penumbra since it seemed to be for Windows. But i decided to check out the page again today, and to my surprise a Linux version was available! I immediately bought it, and i am downloading it as we speak.

Dudes, this is awesome! Finally a great game that doesn't crave Windoze. Big Grin

I hope you keep this trend for the coming episodes. I'll be on-board, i promise!

same here. I use mandrivalinux, and I will be giving my dads copy of Windows XP back to him soon, so having this game on linux is a HUGE plus! And I will for sure buy the other two episodes, as long as it is available for linux.
06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Find
sybesis Offline

Threads: 5

i just have to setup my paypal account and playtime... Smile

I was waiting for this game thank you
06-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Find
Rhapsody Guru Offline

Threads: 5

Uh... by the way. Will Penumbra Overture Episode 2's boxed edition contain the Windows, Linux AND Mac versions of the program? That would be so sweet! I'd love to see the penguin logo on the box!

Guru
06-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Website Find