Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Work in progress Nature - A Custom Story Concept/Story from Frawst
frawst Offline

Threads: 5
Nature - A Custom Story Concept/Story from Frawst

Nature
By: Frawst

The Concept
This is a story of you. No, you did not have amnesia, no, you are not anybody with a special talent or skill. This is the story of you, a regular person living in the regular world. Well, there is one thing about you that is a bit off kilter. You are not able to learn from society. You learn purely from 'nature' and act on your natural human impulses. Many psychologists are intrigued by you, since every mannerism you have is a direct reflection of the natural human. (Nature vs. Nurture)
Game Design

This story is designed to take a look at human nature, and takes a very cynical and evil look at it in fact.
The story and ideas of the story use dream sequences, psychologist notes and voices, and 'head voices' to portray man's natural state.
The Story + possible non-essential side notes from the author
The game opens with several cut scenes to illustrate the idea/point of the story better (nature vs. nurture), first a black screen that is an audio based birth, all goes well and you are declared a boy named Andrew. Fades to an older age, possibly black screen as well. A mother's voice rings out "Andrew! You are almost 6 years old! You should know better! How am I supposed to send you to school if you continue to behave this way?!" A loud shattering of class occurs, the mother reacts with a loud and sharp "ANDREW!!!"
Cuts to a conversation between mother and psychologist (My vision of this is that you are sitting in a room, and from behind the locked door you can hear the mother and psychologist having a conversation. The dialogue is not yet fleshed but the idea is). The psychologist has 'never seen anything like this and wants to take you to a facility to be studied'.
Cuts to modern day. you awake to darkness, a clipboard on the side table beside you, along with a couple of tinderboxes to light the room up. (This is where the gameplay really begins).
(The focus of the game is not to be on the mental hospital in which Andrew is residing, rather it is meant to be a tool to chain together different story telling elements, and possibly also display some of the story on it's own.) Andrew's story is displayed from psychologists notes, like the one found on the bedside table, and notes found throughout the mental institution. More of the mental institution is unlocked after certain events, to allow the character to travel to new places where more story is revealed, and new dream sequences can be triggered. The majority of the story telling occurs in the dream sequences, one is triggered at each bed, and these are like the side rooms in amnesia, except you can only visit them once, so they go from start to finish and never link together. Most of your dreams are flash backs, but some also utilize imaginary type dreams to illustrate the disturbing thought pattern of Andrew's life.
As a child, Andrew is labeled as a "possessed" child. As he acts always on initial impulses, which often resulted in the death of a bossy child or the slaughter of a mean teacher. For a lot of the early game sequences are used to explain how the boy is acting in the purest form, the way that man would act if they were based purely on nature (not nurture). As time goes on, worse and worse events occur, eventually leading to a mass murder. The game ends in a 'Psycho' sort of way, with Andrew plotting further murder/revenge, but he is trapped in the hospital. (This is meant to illustrate the hindering binds that society places on man kind)
Extra notes: All of the imagined dream sequences should take place in a hellish castle sort of setting, using the monsters to illustrate the fear that Andrew feels against the rest of society, and the exits illustrating him being corrupted by society and joining the normal world, the only thing is it is impossible to leave, as any time you approach an exit the game forces a complete turn around or something of the sort, showing that Andrew does not have the ability to change his ways.

Note that this is a concept work, and I would love to develop it with any mod maker that would like me to help flesh out missing details for making the actual mod.
USAGE :

Anybody is free to use this story, I would LOVE a collaborating part in the fleshing out of the actual mod and map, I am not anything for mapping yet but concept I am game. I would also need a credit for writing the story...

You are welcome to create a mod using this concept without my assistance, however I require a major credit for story.

NAME : Justyn 'Frawst' Chaykowski

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2011, 09:06 PM by frawst.)
09-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Website Find
DRedshot Offline

Threads: 23
RE: Nature - A Custom Story Concept/Story from Frawst

I personally prefer this story to your other one. The other one didn't appeal to me, and although it is eerie, and not at all Cliche, It is not something I would use, but that's just me. Smile

This story on the other hand, is pretty deep and sinister, I like the way that you get little glimpses of your childhood so you know something about your background, which hint that something was abnormal, but doesn't directly say what it was. Also, It is you, the player, who is the cause of it all, which I find great because it really makes you question everything you do.

Spoiler below!
Remember back in the main amnesia game, where you started getting memories of killing innocent children, it made you hate your own player, and made you question what is right, and what is wrong...

There is only one flaw really - the player is free to do what he wants in game, he could act purely by emotion if he chooses, which would contradict Andrews lack of it.

All in all, I love your Lovecraftian styled stories, and this one is my favourite of the two. This is really worth using by someone. If I had the resources to make sound effects and flashbacks and I wasn't already making one, I would love to give this a shot.
Keep up the good work!

09-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Find
frawst Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Nature - A Custom Story Concept/Story from Frawst

(09-29-2011, 08:31 AM)DRedshot Wrote: I personally prefer this story to your other one. The other one didn't appeal to me, and although it is eerie, and not at all Cliche, It is not something I would use, but that's just me. Smile

This story on the other hand, is pretty deep and sinister, I like the way that you get little glimpses of your childhood so you know something about your background, which hint that something was abnormal, but doesn't directly say what it was. Also, It is you, the player, who is the cause of it all, which I find great because it really makes you question everything you do.

Spoiler below!
Remember back in the main amnesia game, where you started getting memories of killing innocent children, it made you hate your own player, and made you question what is right, and what is wrong...

There is only one flaw really - the player is free to do what he wants in game, he could act purely by emotion if he chooses, which would contradict Andrews lack of it.

All in all, I love your Lovecraftian styled stories, and this one is my favourite of the two. This is really worth using by someone. If I had the resources to make sound effects and flashbacks and I wasn't already making one, I would love to give this a shot.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the feedback. Your idea of the 'freedom' can easily be changed by crafty map design with effects and whatnot, since most of the game takes place in dreams and whatnot, the only way to finish a level would be like forcing you to do something that *you* would naturally do, e.g. mame a little girls dog because she stole your eraser in class (idk, just a random idea haha)

09-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Website Find