Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob needs help!
MrE Offline

Threads: 1
Noob needs help!

Hi folks,

My first post here... I just picked up Amnesia: Dark Descent yesterday and have only played it for half an hour thus far - but wow, what a game! Superb :-)

Anyhow. This is probably a dumb question, but is the running speed (i.e. the speed at which the character runs) really that slow?? I'm playing this on an iMac with a standard Mac wireless keyboard & mouse... I hold shift and press forwards (W) to run, but my character's speed barely changes - in fact, I'm not even sure he's moving any faster at all.

This might well be the default running speed - i.e. not too fast, so as to add extra tension to the game! - but at the moment it feels as though my shift key ain't working (which it is, btw).

Any advice on this greatly appreciated.

... looking forward to scaring myself stupid with this game (clean underwear on standby).

:-)
10-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

RE: Noob needs help!

It's like that early on (I suppose Daniel is just too groggy too run or something Tongue), but it will increase pretty soon, so no worries Big Grin

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
10-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Find
MrE Offline

^ Thanks for clarifying! Smile

I've yet to encounter any monsters in the game... yet... which is when I was hoping Daniel would find his feet and be able to run. Fast.

10-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

No problem, man. I was thinking the exact same thing first time I played through (Daniel! Y U SO SLOW?!?), so you're not alone :p Have you gotten to the lantern yet? If so, it should have stabilized itself at the running speed you'll have for the rest of the game. Not very fast, but then again Daniel isn't exactly a superhero...

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
10-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(10-21-2011, 04:17 PM)MrE Wrote: ^ Thanks for clarifying! Smile

I've yet to encounter any monsters in the game... yet... which is when I was hoping Daniel would find his feet and be able to run. Fast.
If a monster chases you...word of advice, DON'T FUCKING LOOK BACK

it slows you down

10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Website Find
Brute Offline

Threads: 10

NO! You doesn't need to run away! They just want a hug ... they are so lonely ... Heart

10-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

Another fun thing about running: You can do it even if you only think you saw a baddie, or just heard them. If you think something is coming, run! If you think you saw something, flee! It's scarier/better if you're working with the game to scare yourself.
10-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Find
A Luna Offline

Or you can stop and wait if it actually was something. Then when you see something move.... run... fast.

I love playing custom stories, need a tester or someone who you want to scare easily? Pick me!:D
10-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Find
BendyBread Offline

(10-23-2011, 06:23 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: Another fun thing about running: You can do it even if you only think you saw a baddie, or just heard them. If you think something is coming, run! If you think you saw something, flee! It's scarier/better if you're working with the game to scare yourself.
I've done that so many times.

Ended up running into something instead. Sad

10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Find
MrE Offline

Cheers for the feedback here folks. Since my original post, I have now discovered why running is so important in this game! o_O

First time I got chased, I ran away, hearing the beastie behind me and thinking I was leaving it for dust, only to turn around for a quick peek and BAM! - it was right on my heels and I got splattered! Really made me jump out of my seat at the time, and I'm not normally too jumpy when it comes to games/films, etc.

Anyway... I'm really enjoying my experience with this game so far. I've just arrived at the Prison section, which seems creepy as hell! Bring it on... :-)
10-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Find