Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New enemy crashes one map, but not another!?
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
New enemy crashes one map, but not another!?

So I'm making a new enemy... It's working great! but for some reason, it works fine on my testing map, but when I activate it on my main campaign, it runs for a second or two, then the map crashes and the game shuts down. I don't understand because it works fine in one map... But the map that really matters crashes. what could be wrong? My OTHER new enemies work fine in the campaign though... I don't understand.

notes:
- the map doesn't have a .map_cache
- the enemy is saved in the main folder AND the custom story folder where the campaign is located
- the enemy is an altered version of the Brute
- like I said, it works fine in one map, but not the main one

QUESTION:
Would a music priority issue cause the game to crash?
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2011, 06:28 PM by Statyk.)
11-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: New enemy crashes one map, but not another!?

Have you checked the hpl.log for insight? Assuming your story is a full conversion, the important hpl.log would be located in the save directory of your full conversion.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

(11-05-2011, 06:54 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Have you checked the hpl.log for insight? Assuming your story is a full conversion, the important hpl.log would be located in the save directory of your full conversion.
This is all it says:
ERROR: Unable to open config file 'MainEditorSettings.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!

and as of right now, it's set as a custom_story. I will convert it at the end of the campaign.

11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(11-05-2011, 07:01 PM)Statyk Wrote: This is all it says:
ERROR: Unable to open config file 'MainEditorSettings.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!

and as of right now, it's set as a custom_story. I will convert it at the end of the campaign.

That's not the correct hpl.log. If you're on Windows and since it isn't a full conversion yet, it would be located at Documents/Amnesia/Main.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2011, 07:06 PM by Your Computer.)
11-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

I tested it again... He loads in the map, animations work... and his music works. his custom voice sounds may be the problem. He can stand there, cough, and be idle. but once I'm near him, the hunt music turns on and he runs at me. About 1 second to 2 seconds into running after me, the game cashes... could it be the custom voices problem?

(11-05-2011, 07:06 PM)Your Computer Wrote:
(11-05-2011, 07:01 PM)Statyk Wrote: This is all it says:

That's not the correct hpl.log. If you're on Windows and since it isn't a full conversion yet, it would be located at Documents/Amnesia/Main.
This is the only thing thatcame up in there:
ERROR: Unable to open config file 'C:/Users/Brandon/Documents/HPL2/ParticleEditor.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!

Granted, the enemy DOES use custom particles. could that be the problem? I don't see why it wuld though because it works fine in the testing map... I'm at such a loss.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2011, 07:08 PM by Statyk.)
11-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Only the editors make use of the editor configuration files. The game itself doesn't need them, therefore doesn't touch them. If that's all you see, then you're looking at the wrong hpl.log. A proper hpl.log would show you information about your hardware, the resources the game creates, etc. I've never created a custom monster before, nor have i modified any existing monster, so unless i can get some technical insight i don't think i'm going to be able to help you. Maybe if you send me the modified monster, i could probably then see if i can get something out of the log.

11-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

(11-05-2011, 07:40 PM)Your Computer Wrote: Only the editors make use of the editor configuration files. The game itself doesn't need them, therefore doesn't touch them. If that's all you see, then you're looking at the wrong hpl.log. A proper hpl.log would show you information about your hardware, the resources the game creates, etc. I've never created a custom monster before, nor have i modified any existing monster, so unless i can get some technical insight i don't think i'm going to be able to help you. Maybe if you send me the modified monster, i could probably then see if i can get something out of the log.
sure. could you PM me your email?

11-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

It didn't crash on my side, and there were no errors in the log relating to the monster. My last resort would be to assume path node corruption. If you have any .nodes files, delete them and remove any path nodes in your map and test it out. If it still crashes on your end or if you don't have any path nodes to begin with, then i am out of ideas.

11-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Website Find