Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
blaarg8891 Offline

Threads: 1
Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I want to start off this post by saying thank you to Frictional games for creating quite possibly the best survival horror game in the history of gaming. I am an avid player of survival horror games, I have played all of the Silent Hills, Dead Spaces, Resident Evils, Fatal Frames, FEARs, etc. Not a single one of those games even comes close to the sheer terror I feel when I play Amnesia.

Frictional games has achieved something that most developers cannot even touch, they caused the sense of terror. Terror is different than being scared or being afraid. Dead Space can scare you with jump out monsters but it never comes close to instilling true terror in your mind like Amnesia does. When you find yourself afraid to ascend a staircase or turn a corner or even find yourself too afraid to move from the little fort you made in a corner hiding from the shadow; you know that you are playing something special.

Amnesia is a better game than Dead Space and Fear and Resident Evil but it will unfortunately never see the mass acclaim that these games receive. Sure some people have reviewed this game and have reviewed it very well but it isn't big news. I want to make it so this game becomes a game that people remember and know whether they have played it or not. In short I want to thank Amnesia for providing me one of the most terrifying experiences of my life and for giving the gaming community a diamond among coal in survival horror.
11-14-2011, 04:34 AM
Find
J.R.S.S. Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

A great job indeed.

"When technology of computers was new to the minds of the planet Earth, they were afraid that it would destroy them with over complicated machinery and high levels of knowledge, never knowing that Fear created on these computers is what would destroy their minds. Fear. The presence of black, emptiness, of nothing but the occasionally scream. It always leads back to Fear; always for the minds of planet Earth."

Thank you dear Frictional.

Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The White Ship"
11-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

By far my most influential horror game, ahead of Dead Space. I LOVE Dead Space most as a game, story, and atmosphere... But no game will EVER come close to the respect I have for the games Frictional Games has developed. I always knew, that without a weapon, fear would be increased DRASTICALLY, and I was going to make my own horror game with no fighting involved, just running, much like this. Then I found out that they beat me to the punch =P But they did damn well. I'll always have Amnesia and Penumbra at the top of my list for "game of all time"... It may not have won E3's awards, but in my eyes, this is the best game I've ever played. And to be able to make a complete custom story of mine and be part of this community of my favorite horror game (game in general), I couldn't be happier =] This is what I love about small businesses... They're not afraid to go where they envision. I'm proud to be an active member to this wondrous community.
11-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

I totally agree with you Smile

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
11-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

FrictionalGames are definitive one of the best game creators of all time.
And they're only 5 people working at home without any budget. So they really are miracles.
I hope the next game will not get too much out of the genre.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM by Googolplex.)
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Find
imgoneimdead Offline
Señor Member

Threads: 23

(11-16-2011, 05:09 PM)Googolplex Wrote: FrictionalGames are definitive one of the best game creators of all time.
And they're only 5 people working at home without any budget. So they really are miracles.
I hope the next game will not get too much out of the genre.
Yes, I'm hoping they can make their next game, if possible, even more frightening. Amnesia will terrify you enough to make you just quit and go sit down or something... If their next game is too much different, I think Frictional will be alot different. Best at horror by far... Hope for no change...

11-19-2011, 04:41 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

@Googolplex
Isn't it already stated countless times that their next game will not be completely horror oriented?

11-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Website Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(11-19-2011, 05:58 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: @Googolplex
Isn't it already stated countless times that their next game will not be completely horror oriented?
Whatdo you mean? They're not doing a horror game? O.o Or will it just be more based around story?

11-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(11-19-2011, 05:37 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(11-19-2011, 05:58 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: @Googolplex
Whatdo you mean? They're not doing a horror game? O.o Or will it just be more based around story?
they said it's not gonna be as horror based but it will still have a scary mood to it and it will have survival elements.

Posting Freak
11-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Website Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

My top 5
1. Besthesda softworks - I love RPG's
2. Frictionalgames - I <3 em
3. Mojang - I've played mc since it came out, still loving it
4. Dice - would be #3 if bf3 was on steam
5. Valve - their games are amazing

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Find