Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Spoiler The best scares you missed.
velius2820 Offline

Threads: 1
The best scares you missed.

Hey everyone, I wanna start off saying I love this game. I've beaten it around 5 times now and watched about 10 or so lets plays of it. I just beat it again tonight while waiting for a steam game to download and I came upon a scare I had never seen before. It got me thinking about just how many scares are in this game that are extremely rare to happen upon. I've got a couple that I have experienced only myself and none of the LPers that I watched witnessed.

*SPOILER SCARES AHEAD*

When you are in the dungeons level 1 and if you have to go back downstairs to get the hammer you get treated to a neat little event. As soon as you head to the bottom of that set of stairs at the fork there will be this artificial light ahead and a gatherer will spawn. The gatherer then proceeds to blink out of existence and appear closer to you and blink again and appear even closer. It creates the appearance that he is barreling towards you very quickly and the light is swinging back and forth obscuring it from your view. Definitely an intense moment.

My other is the one I encountered today. Now I said I've beaten it many times and seen it beat even more, so this game doesnt really scare me all that much anymore. Although when I had just arrived in the sewers I of course sit through the first gatherer spawn and then head off to the right to get the loose pipe. So I'm running and jumping along without a care in the world, grab the pipe and then on the way back I hear a water monster and I even see the splashes headed toward me. I flipped out pretty quick, although the monster never came after me or anything. In all my playthroughs and watchthroughs I had never seen a water monster in this area, just heard the sounds of one in the collapsed hallway on the left.

So do you guys have any hidden scare gems that maybe some of us have never experienced?

Also I'm sorry if this is too heavy on spoilers, please move it to the hints section if it is, I just figured it was more suited to general discussion.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2011, 07:13 AM by jens.)
11-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: The best scares you missed.

Nice hidden scares. But where is the hammer you mentioned in level 1?
When you are in the archives and go back to the collapsed passage to the debris, you will see a grunt behind you!
And when you go into the big room before this event, you will see a grunt on the right.
A further hidden scare is the picture of Alexander in the study.
When you go back to the picture after you have picked up all the rods, his face is changed to a really scare face.
And in front of the door into Daniel's room will be a dismembered body.
And the water of the fountain in back hall will changed to blood and sometimes there lies a dead body over the female legs.
And when you wait some minutes in Daniel's cell, the game ends there (4th secret ending).

First time I played the game, it scares me to the ground!
But now, it doesn't scare me, because I know what is going to happen.
But at all, Amnesia is the most effective and creepy horror game of all time!
You played the expansion "Justine"?
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2011, 05:24 PM by Googolplex.)
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Find
velius2820 Offline

Yes I played Justine, it was thoroughly creepy as well, especially the potato room where you need to sneak by the gatherer. They are infinitely more scary when they don't disappear. Also yeah the paintings rely on your sanity. If you are insane enough and check out any painting most of the time the people's faces are skulls. I remember watching someone play and as their sanity was fluctuating the corpses hanging from the choir front area were disappearing and reappearing when he would turn away. These effects are genius.
11-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

But what do you mean about the hammer in level 1?
There is no hammer (except the tool item) and even not in level 1.

I remember a further hidden scare effect.
When you are in the choir, where the spiral staircase is, look at the cages.
In one of them is a corpse, but when you go up the stairs and went down again, the corpse isn't avaiable anymore.
I think. most players didn't recognize that.

11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Find
Gasjockey Offline

He's talking about the hammer (part of the hammer and chipper tool) that can be found in the southern block in the prison. If you go up the stairs and get the chipper and such before you get the hammer, you will be treated to the event he describes Smile

Member of the secret society of TCaMtRLHfPSMUYRYRtWWtPtKYOoPFatHHG
11-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13

(11-15-2011, 07:06 PM)Gasjockey Wrote: He's talking about the hammer (part of the hammer and chipper tool) that can be found in the southern block in the prison. If you go up the stairs and get the chipper and such before you get the hammer, you will be treated to the event he describes Smile
Oh, so you're alrightSmile
And I was so worried I wrote a post in Amnesia sequel thread...

I'm too touchyBig Grin
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2011, 07:52 PM by Fomzo.)
11-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(11-15-2011, 04:47 PM)Googolplex Wrote: But what do you mean about the hammer in level 1?

I remember a further hidden scare effect.
When you are in the choir, where the spiral staircase is, look at the cages.
In one of them is a corpse, but when you go up the stairs and went down again, the corpse isn't avaiable anymore.
I think. most players didn't recognize that.
That's the Transept. Tongue

listen to boards of canada
11-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Website Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote: A further hidden scare is the picture of Alexander in the study.
When you go back to the picture after you have picked up all the rods, his face is changed to a really scare face.
It has nothing to do with what you said, it's a sanity effect

Quote: But what do you mean about the hammer in level 1?
He's referring to the Northern Prison area, where you need to gather a hammer and chipper
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2011, 07:44 AM by Hunter of Shadows.)
11-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Website Find