Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Custom Story "The Mine: Chapter 1" Info/Discussion/Help
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83
My Custom Story "The Mine: Chapter 1" Info/Discussion/Help

As the title says, this thread will serve as a discussion and help into my story called "The Mine: Chapter 1" as well as giving you players a preview of my game. I do not have a trailer for it, but I do have the beginning description (which will be the same one that you read when you go to play it).

--"Your father, Daniel, was an archaeologist; which was hard to tell since a lot of the time he was in mines. Sometimes, a mining company would stumble upon an ancient artifact or ruins. Normally, Daniel's research required him to hire people to mine to his favorite study, ancient (usually forgotten) civilizations. In recent years, he became frantic in the search of a strange amulet belonging to a long extinct race in Northern Greenland. The only reference of the amulet, however, was in a book belonging to Alexander of Brennenburg Castle. Your father, when you were old enough, told you about his dealings with the now deceased Alexander. You wonder why Alexander never went after the amulet and your father is. During two month long stay in his mine in the western portion of northern Greenland, all communication from the mine stopped! You journeyed towards the mine to find out what happened. The mine had two entrances, a main one and an emergency one. You took the main one, but it started collapsing after entering it. You rushed to the second floor, just barely escaping the now completely collapsed 1st Floor. Find your father, learn what happened, and escape through the emergency exit."--

"The Mine" will be a two part story set, as you can read from above, a couple of years after Amnesia: The Dark Descent. A 'third part' to the story will take place just after the Penumbra story. I am not yet sure how many parts the Penumbra era story will be yet, it might also be a two parter... will just have to wait until I get there.

As you can guess, "The Mine" will tie up Amnesia and set up for Penumbra... how it will evolve into Penumbra you will have to discover for yourselves Smile .

Below are problem(s) I have in my uncompleted Chapter 1. Anything in [] might be problems in the future, but I haven't reached that point in the game creation/haven't tried yet.:

1--I have a liquid water area with a plane on top with a water texture on it. Unlike Amnesia, this water was going to be waist deep. The problem is, when I go to the water, I walk on its surface.

2--[is needed for story] Is it possible to 'drain' the water from an area by a script, say be pulling the right numbered levers as in Amnesia, or is it a new level with no water in it? Can a door be scripted to be unlocked at the same time as well?

3--[this part would be cool to have, but is not necessarily vital to have] Can a script be made to spawn a monster when you walk to a certain point?

What do you players think of my story concept?
12-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: My Custom Story "The Mine: Chapter 1" Info/Discussion/Help

(12-07-2011, 12:39 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: As the title says, this thread will serve as a discussion and help into my story called "The Mine: Chapter 1" as well as giving you players a preview of my game. I do not have a trailer for it, but I do have the beginning description (which will be the same one that you read when you go to play it).

--"Your father, Daniel, was an archaeologist; which was hard to tell since a lot of the time he was in mines. Sometimes, a mining company would stumble upon an ancient artifact or ruins. Normally, Daniel's research required him to hire people to mine to his favorite study, ancient (usually forgotten) civilizations. In recent years, he became frantic in the search of a strange amulet belonging to a long extinct race in Northern Greenland. The only reference of the amulet, however, was in a book belonging to Alexander of Brennenburg Castle. Your father, when you were old enough, told you about his dealings with the now deceased Alexander. You wonder why Alexander never went after the amulet and your father is. During two month long stay in his mine in the western portion of northern Greenland, all communication from the mine stopped! You journeyed towards the mine to find out what happened. The mine had two entrances, a main one and an emergency one. You took the main one, but it started collapsing after entering it. You rushed to the second floor, just barely escaping the now completely collapsed 1st Floor. Find your father, learn what happened, and escape through the emergency exit."--

"The Mine" will be a two part story set, as you can read from above, a couple of years after Amnesia: The Dark Descent. A 'third part' to the story will take place just after the Penumbra story. I am not yet sure how many parts the Penumbra era story will be yet, it might also be a two parter... will just have to wait until I get there.

As you can guess, "The Mine" will tie up Amnesia and set up for Penumbra... how it will evolve into Penumbra you will have to discover for yourselves Smile .

Below are problem(s) I have in my uncompleted Chapter 1. Anything in [] might be problems in the future, but I haven't reached that point in the game creation/haven't tried yet.:

1--I have a liquid water area with a plane on top with a water texture on it. Unlike Amnesia, this water was going to be waist deep. The problem is, when I go to the water, I walk on its surface.

2--[is needed for story] Is it possible to 'drain' the water from an area by a script, say be pulling the right numbered levers as in Amnesia, or is it a new level with no water in it? Can a door be scripted to be unlocked at the same time as well?

3--[this part would be cool to have, but is not necessarily vital to have] Can a script be made to spawn a monster when you walk to a certain point?

What do you players think of my story concept?
Making a mine level...this is interesting!

And in answer to your questions...

1. Just uncheck the "collides" box for the plane.
2. You can script a liquid area to disappear, as well as the water...provided you use the water entity. SetEntityActive will do the trick. If you want it to visually disappear, talk to Statyk. He's got a particle system in which the water will drain, and the player can see it.

3. AddEntityCollideCallback will do it, and all you need to do in the callback is use SetEntityActive for the monster.

12-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Beat me to it Obliviator. Haha!

So as for the draining water thing, I've made some particles to show flooding water, still water, and draining water. If you want the particles, as well as a 42min completely explained scripting tutorial to drain, check out my resources thread here: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-11294.html

12-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

Wow, I didn't expect quick and great responses. Thank you Obliviator27 and Statyk! It will be cool to see what people think of it once they play it, especially so since this will be my first custom story.
12-07-2011, 12:55 AM
Find