Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(12-10-2011, 01:57 AM)kman Wrote: Khypra, if you tell me those were actually made with HPL2, i will ejaculate on the spot.
I'd wish to give you pleasure, but I'm afraid these were taken with the magnificent Space Engine.

I really want to advertise this awesome thing!
"It is a free space simulation software that lets you explore the universe in three dimensions, starting from planet Earth to the most distant galaxies. Areas of the known universe are represented using actual astronomical data, while regions uncharted by human astronomy are generated procedurally. Millions of galaxies, trillions of stars, countless planets!"
Made by one russian guy!

(12-10-2011, 02:13 AM)Rapture Wrote: I'm working on a huge outdoor enviroment, any suggestions for night/dusk lighting?

Edit: My Skybox has a moon that I like alot. But a large scaled light spotlight is horrible in the HPL2. The shadows become very blocky.
Hmm... What I did was use as low amount of actual spot lights that cast shadows, but place point lights and spot lights without shadows how the shadow would actually go. So just trickery, lots of tweaking or maybe magic!

Also, keep the box light blueish at dusk (if you manage to use them, I think too big can cause some kind of visual bug). Blue light is the scattering light that goes around everywhere when the orange'ish sunlight travels through earths atmosphere with less interference and goes straight and causes the shadows. Uhm, but thats just for some extra realism.
Night time has actually gray color btw. Google!

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 02:36 AM by Khyrpa.)
12-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

awww... well it's still fricken amazing. also, any feedback for kman? :3

Posting Freak
12-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Website Find
Khyrpa Offline

(12-10-2011, 02:38 AM)kman Wrote: awww... well it's still fricken amazing. also, any feedback for kman? :3
Statyk already gave you good stuff :u
And I still like that second screenshot, just keep on working!

12-10-2011, 02:41 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

(12-10-2011, 12:37 AM)kman Wrote:
(12-09-2011, 03:24 PM)flamez3 Wrote:
Spoiler below!

[Image: attachment.php?aid=2283]

:3
ok, so the main issue i have with this is the billboards. you made i very common mistake (that even i've made a lot...) which is you have light streaming in on different sides and from different angles. when you see light ray's in real life, you don't see them facing all different ways, you see them all facing the same way since the sun is only shining one way. basically just angle all the lights so they're coming in at the same angle, and also don't have light coming in from the right and then have light coming in from the left some where else. other than that, it looks pretty good. maybe add some carpets or banners, also you seem to be missing particles and decals altogether. oh and one other odd thing i noticed... this looks oddly like the hub from abduction chapter 3, i'm sure this is just pure coincidence, but you still might want to change it around a little. overall, great work! it has a nice feel to it Smile

Gamemakingdude did the layout and the billboards for this particular map. I'm not sure where he got his layout from so if it does look something like Abduction. Then I'll tell him and change it around. That's the hub map also.

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2011, 05:12 AM by flamez3.)
12-10-2011, 05:11 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

My wallpaper is a screenshot from Space Engine :3 So nice

12-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Find
Sel Offline

you could be forgiven for thinking I'm colour blind

damn I am so bad at texturing ahhh

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3332789/Amnesia/...hhhhhh.png
12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

"ehhhhhhhh.png"

priceless

Posting Freak
12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Website Find
Khyrpa Offline

(12-12-2011, 07:47 AM)Sel Wrote: you could be forgiven for thinking I'm colour blind

damn I am so bad at texturing ahhh

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3332789/Amnesia/...hhhhhh.png
I don't know high high your standards are, but I think that's looking good. Seems like its not as dirty as the normal walls in amnesia, that's a good thing imo. The squares might seem a little bit too clean and straight though. A concave that actually fits with something, nice!
Ehhh, I don't know anything about texturing or modeling...

As a side note, are you going to give your windows glass colors like the TDD windows? Might be better to not separate the windows to 2 models and just make the glass white, so its possible to just place a billboard in front of them to give the color.

If I ever have to use the mansionbase again, I'll rather wait for the release of this set.

12-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Find
Sel Offline

(12-12-2011, 02:31 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: I don't know high high your standards are, but I think that's looking good. Seems like its not as dirty as the normal walls in amnesia, that's a good thing imo. The squares might seem a little bit too clean and straight though. A concave that actually fits with something, nice!

It's not so much the lack of grunge (haven't got there yet), it's more that I just can't come up with a colour combination that fits. I keep drawing attention to places that shouldn't be receiving much too.

(12-12-2011, 02:31 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: As a side note, are you going to give your windows glass colors like the TDD windows? Might be better to not separate the windows to 2 models and just make the glass white, so its possible to just place a billboard in front of them to give the color.

hmmm, interesting idea, I'll play with it later tonight.

(12-12-2011, 02:31 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: If I ever have to use the mansionbase again, I'll rather wait for the release of this set.

Haha glad you like it, I just hope I can come up with some textures that let me like it too.

12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Find
Pitfall Offline

Threads: 5

Spoiler below!
[Image: mapping1.png]
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Website Find