Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Questions
JetlinerX Offline

Threads: 49
Two Questions

Hey all!

Just got 2 questions for ya today:

1. Is it possible to "pose" the ragdolls in the editor, or externally? Or do you just have to drop them and hope they turn out right?

2. How do you save a map's state so that if the player returns to that map, the events are NOT reset. Lets say a player is in a "hub" area, and they choose a door. Once they are done, they go back through that level door, how do we make it stay the same as when they left, without the areas resetting?

Thanks in advance all!

Lead Developer of "The Attic"
~Slade Mitchell

Chapter 3 (REL)

12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Website Find
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Two Questions

For 1. I think it is all "drop them and hope they turn out right", unless you would want to uses forces and such to get it just right.

For 2. there is an option in the level editor for entities (chairs, doors, misc), under the entity tab, called FullGameSave. It makes it so entities stay how they were once you leave the map (doors stay opened, pots destroyed). Hope that's what you were looking for.

12-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

1) Nah, you gotta hope they fall correctly. You can use a few blockboxes to help "guide" the ragdoll into the position you want, then just set them inactive a few seconds after the player enters the map. You'll need to work at it a lot though Tongue

2) Already answered by post 2 Big Grin

12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Find
Dobbydoo Offline

Threads: 6

When using forces, is it possible to apply the force to only an arm or something like that? In the same way that you can choose which door in a cabinet to apply force to.
12-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

No, I'm pretty sure the grunt/brute entity doesn't consist of any bodies that we can specifically move, because they already have collision meshes -- no need to create physics bodies. Perhaps one could go about carefully creating shapes and bodies surrounding the limbs and torso and head and then create appropriate ball joints between each body, and simply attach appropriate bones to the bodies. But that might cause physics issues -- I've run into such issues with objects with multiple physics-enabled bodies. As always it will require patience, persistence and probably more work than I'd like to talk about :3

12-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Find
triadtimes Offline

Threads: 16

If I recall,
AddBodyForce(string& asName, float afX, float afY, float afZ, string& asCoordSystem);
can be used. I think you'd have to check in the editor to see if it is part of a different body however (take the suit of armor, it has a body in the head and one for the rest of it).

12-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Find
Dobbydoo Offline

Threads: 6

I tried it on the male corpse, and it works fine, but I didn't get the effect I wanted, though. But I already had my corpse in my map working properly so I didn't need this, I just wanted to check if I could have achieved the same effect easier.
12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Find