Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Permission for Revenue Sharing on YouTube
Samuka97 Offline

Threads: 2
Permission for Revenue Sharing on YouTube

Hey guys. I've been wanting to know if there's a page somewhere that expresses that it is allowed to upload gameplay footage of Amnesia to YouTube with ADs. I record videos with live commentary of me playing custom stories, but I have been searching for an hour or so and I still can't find anything that says so (terms/user agreement/etc)

If you're not familiar with the situation, if you ever want to have ADs on your videos, you'd need permission from the game's developer to do so without your account having a copyright "strike" issued on it. I could probably send an email to Frictional Games, but given how busy they are I doubt they'd give any attention to such a small cause.

Thanks for listening.
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Permission for Revenue Sharing on YouTube

Somehow i've been offered to earn revenue from Youtube before I have a couple of 'strikes' because of the music I used for some of my videos in the past.

I can't say I know for sure, but I would expect that you would be allowed to earn revenue from uploading gameplays of Amnesia/Penumbra. The majority of games like the idea of people playing their games and putting it up on Youtube as it helps advertise the game. But still, that is just me assuming that FG feel the same.

The '97' at the end of your username got me a little though. Is that a sign of the year you were born in? Because you need to be over 18 to start earning revenue from Youtube I believe unless you put the details of your parents card etc. Which i've heard can be classed as fraud which is a BIG HASSLE. :L

[Image: luv.gif]
12-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Find
Samuka97 Offline

(12-27-2011, 05:34 PM)Lucke Wrote: Somehow i've been offered to earn revenue from Youtube before I have a couple of 'strikes' because of the music I used for some of my videos in the past.

I can't say I know for sure, but I would expect that you would be allowed to earn revenue from uploading gameplays of Amnesia/Penumbra. The majority of games like the idea of people playing their games and putting it up on Youtube as it helps advertise the game. But still, that is just me assuming that FG feel the same.

The '97' at the end of your username got me a little though. Is that a sign of the year you were born in? Because you need to be over 18 to start earning revenue from Youtube I believe unless you put the details of your parents card etc. Which i've heard can be classed as fraud which is a BIG HASSLE. :L
Yeah, it's the year of my birth unfortunately Wink

Although I don't have any problems with it. My parents are okay with me doing videos and I've entered all their info, and I've already used revenue sharing to make a couple bucks from other videos before so it's all okay. I even sent in a Penumbra: Black Plague video and they accepted revenue sharing on that, so I guess I'll just try it and see what happens.
12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Ah right, thats okay then I guess. You probably know by now that you can't change the account the money goes in by now.

I do think i've seen people with partners who upload Amnesia videos.

This guy has a partner. So if you can have a partner then the chances are you can get revenue too.

BUT. If you want to be totally sure then don't hesistate to message Frictional Games or one of the people working for them like Jens or Luis via this forum.

12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Find
Samuka97 Offline

(12-27-2011, 05:47 PM)Lucke Wrote: Ah right, thats okay then I guess. You probably know by now that you can't change the account the money goes in by now.

I do think i've seen people with partners who upload Amnesia videos.

This guy has a partner. So if you can have a partner then the chances are you can get revenue too.

BUT. If you want to be totally sure then don't hesistate to message Frictional Games or one of the people working for them like Jens or Luis via this forum.
Yeah, I already know about that since AdSense is linked with GMail and GMail is linked with YouTube, so if I wanted to change it I'd probably have to make 3 new accounts on these three services. Also, I've seen plenty of people who upload Amnesia videos and aren't even partners (just enabled to monetize their videos, like me) so it's probably okay. If it gets denied, I'll just have to mail Frictional Games and hold my next video until that I guess. Thanks for helping Rolleyes
12-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Website Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

I had e-mailed FrictionalGames about this before back in May. Jens responded with:

"We don't give out any specific permissions for things like this nor do we run around and stop people from doing it."

There is no page or anything that you can use to link to in the monetization form and just saying that was not enough and YouTube denied each one saying the amount of info given was unsubstantial.

If you really are serious about it and truly want to have ads on your videos, you need to become a partner with studios like Machinima, Yeousch, or The Game Station. Keep in mind they won't even look at you until you have a pretty number because if you aren't pulling in enough views to them you will be wasting their time.

It took me quite a few months to finally get noticed and such by them but now I am where I am - it's quite decent.

So in my opinion, just stick with doing what you're doing and submit applications to the names I mentioned above, cross your fingers, and remember to make videos for making videos, not for making money off of them.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM by Cryaotic.)
12-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah, you do need some good numbers to even get noticed but I have seen people with partners from the likes of Machinima at just 2k subscribers. So it's not impossible, but the chances are that you're going to need a higher amount to get spotted faster.

12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Find
Samuka97 Offline

I guess the only thing I can do right now is send it as-is and hope for it to be accepted, because I'm just starting out and only have 150 subscribers or so. Anyways, thanks for the help Cry. I'm a big fan of your's :)

(12-27-2011, 07:56 PM)Lucke Wrote: Yeah, you do need some good numbers to even get noticed but I have seen people with partners from the likes of Machinima at just 2k subscribers. So it's not impossible, but the chances are that you're going to need a higher amount to get spotted faster.

As far as I know you don't need some super insane userbase like Pewdiepie or anyone like that, since I've seen people with very few (but active!) subscribers who are already partners with Machinima. I mean, check this guy out: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavidification - 230 subscribers and he's already a partner.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2011, 07:59 PM by Samuka97.)
12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah, the video of GNJgaming that I posted... He has about 400+ subscribers and is partnered. He has a few uploads but not many of them exceed 1000+ views.

12-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

I got offered Revenue with only 60 some subscribers, so if that's what you guys are talking about, you don't need very many subs or views to get offered it.

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
12-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Find