Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Idea: The Detective - an investigation story
zico Offline

Threads: 4
Idea: The Detective - an investigation story

Hello folks,

I am really enjoying Amnesia and I have seen so great custom stories as well. There are so many great minds behind these stories and I want to give a suggestion. Maybe you now think like: "Hey, do not make suggestions! If you have an idea, go make for yourself."
And you know what? You are right. I should. But I know that what I - with my narrow mind - would create would BY FAR not reach what I initially wanted.

So I want to give out my idea - for free - so everyone can use it and make something - maybe even something better than what I imagine.

So here is my idea:

My vision would be a custom story that totally bases on puzzles. And NO I DO NOT MEAN PORTAL. I played portal, I played Portal 2 and that is fine but I do nto need this in Amnesia. So please hear me out till the end.

I imagine you are a detective and you somehow choose to (I have no idea why - maybe you get together a good backstory) investigate an old mansion. The mansion is filled with different rooms. And each room has a secret.. or multiple ones that somehow allow you to progress. Yes, rooms... and NO, NOT LIKE PORTAL (Wink).

I imagine something like that you come into a bedroom. And you see nothign wrong there. Then you investigate and behind the bed you find a key. This key seems not to be useful but it unlocks a musicbox (is that possible with Amnesia? dunno - it's just an idea anyways). This musicbox, now unlocked, allows you to open it. Inside you see that nothing seems to be wrong... but it does not work, too. So you investigate further and you discover that under the carpet you find a small hatch hiding a cog wheel. This you can place into the music box.

The music box now works again and you hear a faint "click". You search further - the room did not change but something happened. So you look closely and - oh my gosh - you can now remove a painting from the wall. Behind is a small place where you find a lever. You pull it and BAM a loud noise behind you! A ceiling panel fell off an reveals a hatch...

This hatch you cannot reach - the room is too high. So you gather around stuff you can build some kind of stairs (Justine - like) and on top you find.... well.. what... I have no idea... some new item now maybe revealing a NEW secret or the key to the next room with a whole new set of secrets. This just continues through the whole story. I know almost ALL stories have pzzles and secrets but I feel none makes this the main focus like my idea as it exists in my head.

The further you progress, the more you find out asbout the story... if there is any. I could think that you probably reveal some dark story around the mansion... Well Amnesia is a hooror game so.. it would have some kind of logic even tho I would be happy if there would be something non-horror... gosh maybe you try to solve a murder case. What about that?

Anyways I thought about monsters... and I think: Why not? But I feel this should be a bit less "run away" or "hide in shadows" but more classical "hide in closet". I do not see this mansion to be ultra dark. So my idea would be that your only chances to hide would be in closets or behind other objects and wait till the monster disappears. That would be cool - so even your survival could be in some kind of puzzle-manner - not just: running -> find shadow -> crouch -> look at wall.

So... yeah this is pretty much my idea.

I dunno ... I know there are some very creative heads out there and maybe they jsut miss a good inspiration and I hope I could contribute one.

Now in case a story with my idea (or parts of it) already exists: I am sorry - I do not know about it. Smile

Thanks for reading.

P.S. As you probably know by now.. my english is not very good. Sorry about this as well.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2012, 01:15 AM by zico.)
01-17-2012, 11:41 PM
Find
Elven Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37
RE: Idea: The Detective - an investigation story

Welcome to the forums and thank you for the idea Smile.

You do have point, in amnesia, there might not be puzzle oriented CS-s a lot, but with good reason.
1) Many people do CS-es only for scares
2) Many people do CS-es for story (like me)
3) Since items are limited, puzzles become harder and harder to think out -> that leads into copying other puzzles what again -> Not original puzzles and copying other puzzles. Tongue. Anyway it will be hard to think unique puzzles.

The Interrogation
Chapter 1

My tutorials
01-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I think you should execute this idea by yourself for these reasons:

You are new. Minding this I think that creating something along these lines is the absolute right choice. Many new developers focus 99% of their energy on scares (it's fun business eh Wink), but it doesn't result in such good custom maps. I rarely play maps because of this reason. Putting your energy into working on puzzles etc. will allow you to greatly boost your scripting knowledge at a fast rate.

The result might not live up to everything you had wished for, but you will surely have fun seeing some of your ideas come true.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

01-18-2012, 01:58 AM
Find
Lihas Offline

Threads: 11

I've been thinking about a noire detective scary modern CS after Friend Or Foe is completed.
01-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Website Find
zeexto Offline

Threads: 3

WOW THAT'S LIKE CREATING A TIME MACHINE AND STEALING MY IDEA WHICH CAME AFTER YOURS ?!?!?!?
of course I'm kidding...

And it also has a mansion? and a hatch hidden by carpet.... wait a second, lol wasn't that the place where you got stuck in my CS LMAO XDDDDDD

I'm simply as stunned as you were yesterday...

[Image: 18548.png]

01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Website Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40

Isn't The Detective the first name tedifisk had for his story?

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Find
zeexto Offline

@ferryadams10

My story is not about a detective, it's about a young scientist who tries to travel back through time...
And it wasn't easy.. once I had to read lots of time travel articles just to make one note! Big Grin

01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Website Find
ferryadams10 Offline

Threads: 40

@zeexto

I wasn't saying your story is about a detective did I?

Got a nice sofa
Please come and have a seat for a while

01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Find
zeexto Offline

@ferryadams10

well.. not out loud, But you thought of it didn't you?

01-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Website Find