Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making static entities collide with player
Exostalker Offline

Threads: 10
Making static entities collide with player

So I made new static rocks, because I needed them to not collide with each other (otherwise if I put one rock inside the other, they jump out). But now player can go through all of them without colliding. Here are the parameters of the rock entities:

----------------
mass 0 (if I change it, nothing changes)
angular damping, linear damping, max angular speed, max linear speed - all 0
density mul 1

and here are the checked options:

countinous collision
collide character
use surface elements
has gravity

if I check all of the options, nothing changes as well.

in user defined variables it's set to type object subtype static.

------------------------
please help!

02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12
RE: Making static entities collide with player

Is the body same size as the rock?
If you can't solve it, you can always put some "block boxes" in level editor

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM by Unearthlybrutal.)
02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Website Find
Exostalker Offline

(02-06-2012, 01:44 PM)Unearthlybrutal Wrote: Is the body same size as the rock?
If you can't solve it, you can always put some "block boxes" in level editor
I didn't change the body, yes it's the same size as the rock...

Putting thousands of black boxes doesn't sound too promising Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM by Exostalker.)
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If you don't need them to be disabled or have any special properties, then don't make entities out of them.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Website Find
Exostalker Offline

(02-06-2012, 01:59 PM)Your Computer Wrote: If you don't need them to be disabled or have any special properties, then don't make entities out of them.

By "I made new static rocks" I mean I took rock entities and with the entity to static tutorial I converted them to static. Sorry I was writing fast so it wasn't clearly written...

But now I just noticed one thing. I copied the entity rocks, the ones that weren't converted, and replaced the new static ones with the old entity rocks whcih would have to jump out of each other. And nothing changed. My guess would be that the game doesn't load the new models, or maybe the map doesn't - because whenever I change those models, they don't change a bit in game - I can still go through them. So maybe there is some kind of model cache or something? Map cache isn't saved, so it shouldn't be the problem.
Maybe the map doesn't recognise that models have been changed? That would mean that I need to recreate all those rocks again?

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM by Exostalker.)
02-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

By "don't make entities out of them", i mean forget about the model editor and simply make use of the .dae files in the level editor so that they are static objects and not entities of type Object: Static.

02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Website Find
Exostalker Offline

(02-06-2012, 02:26 PM)Your Computer Wrote: By "don't make entities out of them", i mean forget about the model editor and simply make use of the .dae files in the level editor so that they are static objects and not entities of type Object: Static.
You mean checking the "static physics" box on every entity?

02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(02-06-2012, 02:35 PM)Exostalker Wrote: You mean checking the "static physics" box on every entity?

No, static objects are not entities. Static objects consist only of .dae files. Collision detection for static objects is based on the faces of each mesh, and do not rely on bodies. So, if you're just looking for objects without any interactive properties but that can get in the way of the player, then you go with static objects. The .dae file of the entity is normally located in the same folder as the .ent file. In the level editor, simply place down a static object, select it and on the right panel, click on "..." and open the .dae file. You may also want to change the static object name to reflect the object, in the level editor.

02-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Website Find
Exostalker Offline

Well that would mean rebuilding the whole level... I'm not really into that, at least not yet.

I'm testing every possiblity, I am spawning the real unedited rock entities, but from what I can see I can still go through it, so it's probably not even an entity thing... Maybe dev environment has something to do with it, like going through the objects?

P.S. I forgot to mention - it was working fine the first time I tried it, but after spawning more rocks now it doesn't...

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2012, 02:50 PM by Exostalker.)
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Making use of static objects does not mean rebuilding the entire map. Also, unless "Fast Physics Load" is enabled, then walking through objects that you're not supposed to is likely due to an out of date .msh file or an improperly constructed entity.

02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Website Find