Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Level Editor Help Help with Sign/Examine Areas
GabrielConnor Offline

Threads: 1
Help with Sign/Examine Areas

Hello there people,

long time reader, first time poster in the forumsSmile

So after some reading and watching of videos on youtube, I have decided to embark on my first custom story creation. And I stumbled upon a little problem that could use your assistanceSmile

I have a desk with a pile of books on it. Now I want the player to get a message on his screen when he either moves the cursor over them, or interacts with them. After some digging I believe the answer to that is to create either a "sign" or an "examine" area, correct?

I have made that area, and it covers the whole book pile in a nice box. But for the life of me I can't seem to find what I need to do to get the actual message displayed.

* Do I need an entry in the .lang file? If yes, could someone please help me with the correct syntax for it?

* Do I need some actual scripting to make the message appear? If yes could someone please direct me to the function I should be using?

Any help is really appreciatedSmile I looked through the Wiki for some time now and wasn't able to locate this info, apologies if it's there and I just missed itSmile Thanks for your time!
02-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Help with Sign/Examine Areas

Yes you need an entry in the lang file. Place the Sign area, and on the 2nd properties tab set the Category and Entry names. Your lang file syntax will be like this:

PHP Code: (Select All)
<CATEGORY Name="SignCat">
    <
Entry Name="SignEntry">Sign text here</Entry>
</
CATEGORY

Change SignCat and SignEntry to whatever you put in the sign's appropriate field.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2012, 04:38 AM by palistov.)
02-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Find
GabrielConnor Offline

That worked perfectlySmile Thank you very muchSmile

Since we're on the subject could you also tell me how "examine" areas work as well? Would be really appreciatedSmile
02-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

I'm not sure, but I think that's the distance (in meters) the player must be within to see the sign text appear.

02-10-2012, 05:14 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Examine areas require interaction by the user. Therefore SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback should be used.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
02-10-2012, 05:31 AM
Website Find
GabrielConnor Offline

Many thanks peopleSmile
Having so much fun with my first custom story!
And it's true, the only real way to learn is to dive in and try to make one.
02-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Find