Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lagging when using LevelEditor
QysteiN Offline

Threads: 6
Lagging when using LevelEditor

It's nearly impossible for me to complete my map.
Whenever I add 2 monsters, it starts lagging. And if the map is to huge.

I was messing around with my ''select a power plan'' once. And then Irestarted my PC it turned pretty bad.
I've checked my graphic card. It should be fine. also my laptop is pretty good.. So I just don't quite understand why it's lagging so badly.

Anyways: http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg194/sca...res=medium

Im using gamebooster now. Still lagging.

I make YouTube videos and I'm currently working on a Amnesia custom story.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM by QysteiN.)
02-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Lagging when using LevelEditor

What are your computer's specs? Also, you running any programs in the background? Any flash applications, like YouTube videos?

02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Find
QysteiN Offline

(02-13-2012, 10:52 AM)palistov Wrote: What are your computer's specs? Also, you running any programs in the background? Any flash applications, like YouTube videos?
I usually turn off chrome whenver I edit. Smile

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: Norwegian (Bokmål) (Regional Setting: Norwegian (Bokmål))
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 5750G
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.10
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5996MB RAM
Page File: 2758MB used, 9231MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in system information (stage 4) & DirectShow (stage 1). Re-running DxDiag with "dontskip" command line parameter or choosing not to bypass information gathering when prompted might result in DxDiag successfully obtaining this information

02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Run Task Manager in the background while you edit. See what (if any) program is eating up your processor when the lag spikes occur.

Does your map contain a large number of decals? They can be pretty nasty on performance, as well as simply having a lot of objects in the viewport.

Try updating your GPU driver as well.

Edit: I actually don't see your GPU driver listed. I'm guessing you have a laptop? I just saw an A then 4 numbers so I assumed it was an ATI card haha -- I've always run nVidia. Check which card you have by going to Start > Right click on Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Display Adapter.

Anyways, I checked and it looks like probably got a GT540M in there. I got this from a review site which posted with a different processor (the computer they reviewed was a 5750G but with an i7-2630QM). If you DO have the GT540M, go to nvidia.com and update the drivers. That card also supports Optimus, so if you do have Optimus running on your computer, white-list the HPL2 applications to run with your GPU. I have an Alienware M11X, which has no Optimus so I'm always using my dedicated GPU. Either that, or search for a way to disable Optimus and always run on your dedicated card. If you're like me and are using the laptop at home 99.9% of the time then it won't matter -- Optimus (as far as I know) is only a power-saving feature.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2012, 11:32 AM by palistov.)
02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Find
QysteiN Offline

(02-13-2012, 11:23 AM)palistov Wrote: Run Task Manager in the background while you edit. See what (if any) program is eating up your processor when the lag spikes occur.

Does your map contain a large number of decals? They can be pretty nasty on performance, as well as simply having a lot of objects in the viewport.

Try updating your GPU driver as well.

Edit: I actually don't see your GPU driver listed. I'm guessing you have a laptop? I just saw an A then 4 numbers so I assumed it was an ATI card haha -- I've always run nVidia. Check which card you have by going to Start > Right click on Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Display Adapter.

Anyways, I checked and it looks like probably got a GT540M in there. I got this from a review site which posted with a different processor (the computer they reviewed was a 5750G but with an i7-2630QM). If you DO have the GT540M, go to nvidia.com and update the drivers. That card also supports Optimus, so if you do have Optimus running on your computer, white-list the HPL2 applications to run with your GPU. I have an Alienware M11X, which has no Optimus so I'm always using my dedicated GPU. Either that, or search for a way to disable Optimus and always run on your dedicated card. If you're like me and are using the laptop at home 99.9% of the time then it won't matter -- Optimus (as far as I know) is only a power-saving feature.

Im closing all my programs whenever I edit. The map is not that big. Im working with my class mate and she is not getting any lags.

''Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.''
I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M just to put that in here. Smile
I have no idea what Optimus is, but I don't think I have it, I tried to search for it on my computer with no results.

''white-list the HPL2 applications to run with your GPU''
Mind explaining how to white list ? Smile

02-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

White-listing is an Optimus feature. Since it looks like you don't have it, no need to worry about it. Keep searching and asking, I don't know what problem you're having beyond what I've already posted about. Sorry Sad

02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Find
QysteiN Offline

It's fine. Thanks anyways. Smile

02-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Website Find