Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Work in progress Dreadful Fires
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37
Dreadful Fires

Dreadful Fires is a project I have been working on for a few weeks on and off. It's my second CS, and I am focusing on atmosphere and immersion. I also plan on using beautiful level design, that's easy to look at.
---------------------
Story:
Lily and her father have always lived together since her mother died. They always had the same routine every day, and they did it together. Lily thought that she had grown out of the fact that she needed someone to protect her, and she notified her father, Joseph. He didn't take it lightly, and stormed out of the mansion in rage and anger. 6 months later, Lily finds out that he was murdered inside of his home. She instantly feels 6 months of pure regret, and dread. Joseph does not know how guilty she feels, and he plans on making her suffer the same fate as he did.
---------------------
This story will include all of the below:
-A highly interactive environment
-A great, creepy atmosphere, with time to develop a mood
-Extremely little amount of jump scares, if any
-Very few, if any, texture clippings
-Inside and outside environments
-At the very least an hour of gameplay
-An excellent story, referencing the love between a daughter and her father
-Voice acting done by none other than Elven and Miss Rigi
-A hint of realism
-A load of extra things you can find that may enhance the story
-A lot of puzzles
---------------------
Screenshots:
Spoiler below!
[Image: cellarj.png]
Spoiler below!
[Image: fronthall.png]
Spoiler below!
[Image: introductionq.png]
*Note: Please tell me if I am using shadowcasters wrongly. I'd like to fix it if I am.
**Note: The screenshots looked much brighter in-game. For some reason they are now lower-resolution and really dark.

That should be about it. I hope you're excited for this CS. Keep in mind that I don't plan on this being super short like my other CS. This will be a full-fledged engaging adventure. Thanks for reading, post feedback!

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2012, 07:39 PM by Strembitsky.)
03-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

RE: [New CS] Dreadful Fires [WIP]

No replies in a day. *le sad Sad

03-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(03-05-2012, 11:57 PM)Strembitsky Wrote: No replies in a day. *le sad Sad
Been there too bruh Tongue just keep working, people don't usually pay too much attention to WIP stories unless they have a bajillion new models in every screen, and even then a lot of them are forgotten about.

On a side note, looks pretty nice from what you've posted so far!

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2012, 12:00 AM by Kman.)
03-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Website Find
Strembitsky Offline

(03-06-2012, 12:00 AM)kman Wrote:
(03-05-2012, 11:57 PM)Strembitsky Wrote: No replies in a day. *le sad Sad
Been there too bruh Tongue just keep working, people don't usually pay too much attention to WIP stories unless they have a bajillion new models in every screen, and even then a lot of them are forgotten about.

On a side note, looks pretty nice from what you've posted so far!
Thanks for the tips and the feedback Wink

03-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

RE: Dreadful Fires

I have hit an invisible wall with this CS. I haven't worked on it in a long time, mainly because I have been doing a lot of things. I know what will be next in my CS, and I know how to plan out the stories and everything, I just haven't found motivation. I'll definitely work on it soon, but I'm just letting you guys know.

03-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

This sounds really good. I will wait this one. Smile

Good luck with ur project ^.^

“Life is a game, play it”
03-19-2012, 03:16 AM
Find
A.I. Offline

Threads: 16

(03-19-2012, 03:16 AM)HumiliatioN Wrote: This sounds really good. I will wait this one. Smile

I agree with you, this seems like a really cool map, can't wait for the release.
Edit: By the way, HumiliatioN's posts when I posted this was 666. Creepy...

[Image: 1YV6ehh]
Formerly Vaelwing22
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2012, 06:03 AM by A.I..)
03-19-2012, 06:02 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(03-17-2012, 07:41 PM)Strembitsky Wrote: I have hit an invisible wall with this CS. I haven't worked on it in a long time, mainly because I have been doing a lot of things. I know what will be next in my CS, and I know how to plan out the stories and everything, I just haven't found motivation. I'll definitely work on it soon, but I'm just letting you guys know.
Yeah, stuff like that happens. It's all about finding a workflow you're comfortable with. I have found that I have quite a short attention span, but I've solved it by "swapping/exchanging/rotate" maps I work on. Instead of finishing Map A I start on Map B then do Map C, until I finally find inspiration again for either map I am making.

Just take your sweet time making things; Quality > Quantity.

Good luck!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

03-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

(03-19-2012, 03:16 AM)HumiliatioN Wrote: This sounds really good. I will wait this one. Smile

(03-19-2012, 06:02 AM)Vaelwing22 Wrote:

I agree with you, this seems like a really cool map, can't wait for the release.
Edit: By the way, HumiliatioN's posts when I posted this was 666. Creepy...

(03-19-2012, 09:24 AM)Acies Wrote:
(03-17-2012, 07:41 PM)Strembitsky Wrote: I have hit an invisible wall with this CS. I haven't worked on it in a long time, mainly because I have been doing a lot of things. I know what will be next in my CS, and I know how to plan out the stories and everything, I just haven't found motivation. I'll definitely work on it soon, but I'm just letting you guys know.
Yeah, stuff like that happens. It's all about finding a workflow you're comfortable with. I have found that I have quite a short attention span, but I've solved it by "swapping/exchanging/rotate" maps I work on. Instead of finishing Map A I start on Map B then do Map C, until I finally find inspiration again for either map I am making.

Just take your sweet time making things; Quality > Quantity.

Good luck!
Thanks to all three of you! You guys have definitely made me want to work on it more often now. And Acies, I might try that tip! Thanks a lot Smile

03-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

*Finished the 4th map. Working on the 5th now.

03-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Find