Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Directed light question.
Nevicar Offline

Threads: 4
Directed light question.

Hello again everyone!

I have another question about the game, but this time about the lights. Basically we have a large room, with a tunnel that goes up into a glass panel. I have tried and tried, through reading the wiki and trying videos, but I cannot seem to figure out how to have a beam shine down from there and be the only light in the room.

Here's a view of the map to help try and understand: http://i.imgur.com/psZDD.jpg

TL;DR:

I want to have a beam of light shining down a well from a window, which is a sizable distance. It will have a monster walk through it in a scripted event and cast a shadow.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2012, 03:14 AM by Nevicar.)
03-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48
RE: Directed light question.

Spotlight?

03-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Point-lights do not cast shadows. Use a Spot-light instead. Select the Lights tool (press 2), then on the right, select Spot-light from the drop-down menu. Then just point it downwards, and check 'Casts Shadows' in its properties, then modify it so it will reach the bottom of you floor.

Also, you can set a gobo map for added realism.

03-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Find
Nevicar Offline

Threads: 4

I've tried using a spot light but it never gives me the results I want, I can't get the actual light to go all the way down to the floor when I load the map and try to play it, unless you don't take the spotlight box and stretch it all the way down to the floor.

Am I missing something? Does there have to be a light behind the spotlight in order for it to actually do what I want it to do, or do I have to set the spotlight right up against the surface?

Edit: Also that picture isn't really true, that's what it looked like when I had my friend building it (he's building I'm scripting, and have no idea how the lights work) so he just slapped that on there.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM by Nevicar.)
03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Mess around with the settings of the spotlight until it reaches the ground (assuming you have it facing the ground). If you want light rays to be seen as well, then use billboards also.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Website Find