Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

New Baldurs Gate?
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: New Baldurs Gate?

Alright, so BGEE was released just a few days ago and I got it on release day in hopes of it being a justification of the original game, it seems that I was somewhat keeping my hopes a bit too high. Ok, so I have been a fan of the BG series for a very long time and I just replayed BG1 using TUTU and to be honest, it's almost better than BGEE if it wasn't for Black Pits (that I enjoyed quite a bit).

BGEE is a buggy mess with lacking features and it's poorly adjusted to the new engine, some classes become completely useless and some weapon specifications are not even playable (because said weapon does not exist in the game, like katana), they did alter the beast specialization for rangers though so that's nice.

The developers claim there to be over 400 improvements to the game and engine, either I'm stupid or I just missed them, the UI is a mess and outdated, with the new engine, they could at least have done something about the blocky oversized UI that belong on the 90's, their proudly presented wide screen support is glitching up with stretched areas of the UI and various elements getting distorted, which is unacceptable.

There are some major issues that the devs really should have thought about before releasing it, and I don't understand how they could've missed some of these even though the pushed the release date once. The most obvious flaw that comes to mind is the lack of increasing game speed, you know the first time you started BG and the game ran so slow you could see each individual frame play as if the game experienced major lags? Guess what, you can't open the config tools (there is none) and change that frame rate to something more appealing, which is kinda retarted concidering most BG players play with a frame rate of at least 40.

There are some other minor glitches that get really annoying after a while, like that you can only scroll the buyers menu in the trade window but not your own inventory menu. And that the journal scrolling is glitched and flicker around for no reason. These are things that you do a lot in the game that need to work otherwise it's just tedious and a sign of sloppy design, I'm disappointed.

Sorry to say it but BGEE is a mess and needs a lot of things fixed before I can truly enjoy it like I did with the original (or TUTU), I highly recommend you to buy the games on GoG (it's rather cheap) and install the TUTU mod to play BG1 with the improved ToB engine instead of BGEE.

Sorry for the long rant, I just felt like I needed to ventilate somewhere. Tongue

What's your thoughts on the new BGEE?

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Find