Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Game Making (MMO)
Creator Offline

Threads: 2
Game Making (MMO)

This isn't the first time I've asked this question, but so far I havn't had much luck response wise.
I would like to know what it takes to make a good game, not too complex that I will never get it done, but at the same time not so basic that it's not worth playing, and what to expect in doing so.
I realise it is a difficult task requiring tremendos effort, but I have no real idea where to start? I've gotten ideas down on paper all over the place, but how do I pull them all together and actually start making the game? I would like to make a MMO eventually but I'm not sure if thats the best place to start.
The other set back is I have no real expirence with scripting, but on the plus side I am eager to learn...

Feedback would be much appreciated Smile
03-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Game Making (MMO)

I don't know where I read/heard this, but for your first stuff. Don't make an MMO, you just end up designing it for thousands of hours, but will never get it done.

Just start creating something. If you just put ideas down you will get nowhere.

03-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

If you have never made a game before, an MMO is actually the worst possible place to start. Make something like pong or space invaders first so that you get the hang of simple game mechanics.

You say you have little experience in scripting (and by scripting I take it that you mean programming?) then I suggest that you read as much as you can, buy/rent books, read articles, browse the big programming communities for samples to examine and learn from.

Another tip: play games. But not for the sake of just playing them but take notes of stuff that are interesting: game mechanics, puzzles, sound design, art design, all that stuff. You will learn a great deal about game design by just observing and examining other games.

Good luck!

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM by eliasfrost.)
03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Find
Creator Offline

(03-25-2012, 02:00 PM)nackidno Wrote: If you have never made a game before, an MMO is actually the worst possible place to start. Make something like pong or space invaders first so that you get the hang of simple game mechanics.

You say you have little experience in scripting (and by scripting I take it that you mean programming?) then I suggest that you read as much as you can, buy/rent books, read articles, browse the big programming communities for samples to examine and learn from.

Another tip: play games. But not for the sake of just playing them but take notes of stuff that are interesting: game mechanics, puzzles, sound design, art design, all that stuff. You will learn a great deal about game design by just observing and examining other games.

Good luck!
I have created some basic games (maybe I should of mentioned that above Smile) such as pong and brickbreakers, even the start of a 2D RPG (only got as far as walking around, picking up a few items, making guns fire in cursor direction and count ammo, with the most basic commands). I will take a look around to find out what I can on programing.

I pulled Penumbra apart once, that was pretty fun, wrote down a walkthrough, looked at the mechanics, even drew up a map of the complex Big Grin . Love the gravity and mechanics in it!

Thanks for advice, hopefuly I can learn some programing Big Grin

Do you have any suggestion on what (free) programs I can use to get me started and or game idea for first project? I've used Game Maker, 3D Rad, Google Sketchup, Unity and a few others.

P.S
Should I be learning C++ Programing?
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM by Creator.)
03-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Set up a team of artists, story writers and scripters, go get yourself HeroEngine and you're all good to make yourself an MMO.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM by Traggey.)
03-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Find
Creator Offline

(03-26-2012, 07:52 AM)Traggey Wrote: Set up a team of artists, story writers and scripters, go get yourself HeroEngine and you're all good to make yourself an MMO.
Going solo for this project.

03-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

(03-26-2012, 07:57 AM)Creator Wrote:
(03-26-2012, 07:52 AM)Traggey Wrote: Set up a team of artists, story writers and scripters, go get yourself HeroEngine and you're all good to make yourself an MMO.
Going solo for this project.
making a mmo on your own

sure good luck.

03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Find