Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Your First Playthrough: For the Cowards Out There
KeenPeachK Offline

Threads: 3
Your First Playthrough: For the Cowards Out There

This is mostly aimed at people who are really, REALLY easily scared, such as myself.

I don't own Amnesia as I haven't had a chance to purchase it yet. A lot of my friends have linked me videos of tons of youtube LP gamers and I got hooked, so the storyline is pretty spoiled for me, unfortunately. However, I'd still like to play it one day.

However: I'm a coward. Pure, pure coward, down to the bone. A belly as yellow as they come.

But, despite this, I absolutely LOVE horror.

I DO own Penumbra and I've tried playing it several times, but I always reach the point where my sensibilities outweigh my desire to play and essentially tell me "Why in the world would you want to go in there? There are monsters in there. You know, you'd be safe if you just turned this thing off."

So, for those of you with weak constitutions, how did YOU manage playing through a game like this for the first time? Did you just force yourself? Complete a mantra or two?

There's no doubt that these games are fun as HELL, but they are also SCARY as hell. XD So, share! I'm interested.

04-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Website Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Your First Playthrough: For the Cowards Out There

Well, I was easily scared the first time I played Amnesia (and never played horror games before) and got through everything up to the storage without too many problems. But at the storage I had enough, just seeing that dark room at the beginning. What brought me back to finally do it though was the great story and atmosphere and I really wanted to see what's next, even though I knew there would be monsters and scary parts. I didn't wanna just leave it after getting so hooked.

And then after Amnesia I played the entire penumbra series, and it wasn't as scary because I'd already beat amnesia and I was getting used to it. But those spiders though, damn those spiders. Scared the hell outta me and still do!

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
04-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Find
Carrna Offline

Threads: 0

I'm really jumpy and whenever I play, read or watch something, I pretty much forget that I'm sitting safely at home. My friends have even said for a few times that "We won't tell you since your imagination is too good" when we've been talking about something possibly too scary or gross.

In Amnesia I probably got most of my motivation from the story. I was soo curious to find out what had happened that I was able to force myself forward. Ironically Amnesia was also the first horror game I've been able to play. I've mentioned this before, but I really suck at combat. Almost every other horror game has been built around combat. Although I love horror games, before Amnesia I've just had to watch while others play, since always when I tried to play I died to the first zombies or whatever.

There's no way I could've stopped playing before beating the game when I had finally found a game I can actually play without swearing and throwing controllers to a wall. And then there was this: I heard that some big, hairy, muscular adult men can't play Amnesia. I was, of course, like "Omg omg I'm a small scaredy cat woman and I can play it hohohoho~!1" Somehow I found it encouraging. :'D

~
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Website Find
Electra Offline

Threads: 5

For me its pretty simple how I get through it. Sometimes, it's just really fun to be scared. Look at it the same way as going through a haunted house.

Custom Story Work in Progress: Castle Helmuth
"Who said the glory days had to end?"
04-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Website Find
KeenPeachK Offline

(04-16-2012, 04:25 PM)Carrna Wrote: I'm really jumpy and whenever I play, read or watch something, I pretty much forget that I'm sitting safely at home. My friends have even said for a few times that "We won't tell you since your imagination is too good" when we've been talking about something possibly too scary or gross.

In Amnesia I probably got most of my motivation from the story. I was soo curious to find out what had happened that I was able to force myself forward. Ironically Amnesia was also the first horror game I've been able to play. I've mentioned this before, but I really suck at combat. Almost every other horror game has been built around combat. Although I love horror games, before Amnesia I've just had to watch while others play, since always when I tried to play I died to the first zombies or whatever.

There's no way I could've stopped playing before beating the game when I had finally found a game I can actually play without swearing and throwing controllers to a wall. And then there was this: I heard that some big, hairy, muscular adult men can't play Amnesia. I was, of course, like "Omg omg I'm a small scaredy cat woman and I can play it hohohoho~!1" Somehow I found it encouraging. :'D
I am exactly the same way. XD There are even times when I'm home and I KNOW there is nothing in the house, but then just the fact that I'm alone starts freaking me out so I end up turning on all the lights because of it. lol

Knowing that there are people that are much braver than I am that can barely play it does help as well, though.

Usually, I play things like L4D, but in games like that you have weapons you can fight with. So, the fact that you can't fight back in games like Penumbra and Amnesia freaks me out even more. :<

04-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Website Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

playing amnesia alone in the dark is pretty freaky

even freakier is when i have to take a leak and the way to the bathroom is past a dark long hallway.
04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Find
KeenPeachK Offline

(04-16-2012, 09:42 PM)Arvuti Wrote: playing amnesia alone in the dark is pretty freaky

even freakier is when i have to take a leak and the way to the bathroom is past a dark long hallway.
Solution: Hold it 'til morning.

Suckiest. Thing. Ever.

04-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Website Find
Xanthos Offline

Threads: 9

I was the biggest failure at Amnesia (First PlayThrough(No Spoils)).
I would play little amounts of the game about every month.

The first encounter with the monster chasing me (Cellar thingy, where you obtain the drill) I tried not to move when I picked up the drill part and he was looking and walking right to me, the high pitch Mosquito sound starting to kick in, My hands got sweaty and all tense, my legs shaking rapidly. I started to run, I made it around a shelf and quickly Sneaked past him and he was still chasing me. I couldn't even press the shift key because of how freaked out I was, He hit me it made me throw my mouse to the side.
The camera was looking at the roof now, I was also press keys 8456 Thinking it was the arrow keys.
I died and didn't play for 1/2 a month.

But I can tell you this, I never pause the game unless I have to leave my chair.
Every jumpscare just makes me throw my mouse.

Sadly, I don't get the thrill I used to in Amnesia. It doesn't phase me as much as it use to, I would easily outrun the monsters 24/7.

I am playing the game Resident Evil 4.
Scary as f*** at chapter 5!
Spoiler below!
The FIRST boss Is a CHAINSAW GUY T.T

04-17-2012, 12:52 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

My Amnesia experience in a nutshell:

>Start playing, roughly 30 minutes
>Something scary happens, stop playing for the night
>Repeat for the next few weeks
>???
>Profit.

Frickin' terrifying game. I've played enough horror games to know its easily one of the scariest out there.

I rate it 3 memes.
04-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Find
KeenPeachK Offline

That's a good suggestion! I think I might try that! I don't have Amnesia, but maybe those suggestions will help me get through Penumbra. Big Grin

04-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Website Find