Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lagg spikes
Twitchez Offline

Threads: 17
Lagg spikes

Hey dear Forum members!

My question is: When I run some of my maps, I get a huge fps loss in the beginning. I've noticed entities that are "stuck" in some way play a big role, because they tend to start flickering which causes some of the fps loss, but some of the fps dropes I just can't seem to get rid of.

Anyone have any hint of what it might be? I have a lot of corpses that will "fall" when you start the map to make them look like they are in a natural position when the player gets there, but they aren't colliding with each other.

Kind Regards,
//Twitchez
04-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Lagg spikes

They don't have to collide with each other, they just have to have physical properties, like collision and gravity.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
04-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Website Find
Twitchez Offline

Yes, but they tend to "hook" into each other, then start to flicker (Probably caused by errors in the HPL2 programming). Is there any way YC to reduce fps drop in the beginning?

The strange thing is when I run my map on another computer I don't experience the fps drop in the same way (but when I run any other Amnesia mod/ the original story I never experience this problem).
04-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

All hardware have limitations, many higher than others. The CPU normally takes care of the physics. If you have a stronger CPU, there'd be less lag in that area. You could have a timer run that enables the entities one by one, or by as much as the weaker hardware can handle, allow time for the physics to settle.

04-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Website Find
Twitchez Offline

Ah, clever idea. Just make a timer schedule dropping the bodies one by one, as long as you are not there Smile

Thanks again YC, you rock!

//Problem Solved
04-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

I should note, though, that things concerning performance should consider different ways of going about it rather than using workarounds to achieve the same thing.

04-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Website Find