Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MoveAxis size
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41
MoveAxis size

MoveAxis size.

Ok this has giving me problems for a while now and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is supposed to be. The description for the "OpenAmount" states that for linear move objects it is "how much of the MoveAxis size that will mean it is open," but the "MoveAxis" option only has three options: X, Y and Z (the direction in which the move object moves). Unless I can figure out what the "MoveAxis size" of an object is, I cannot have objects move precice amounts, as the SetMoveObjectState function moves the object based off of it's OpenAmount. Sad

04-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: MoveAxis size

I think 1.0 corresponds to one-half pi radians (90 degrees) when the move object type is angular, and corresponds to the Y-size (or X or Z) of the main body of the entity when in linear mode, meaning setting it to 1.0 will move the object along its axis a number of units equal to the size of the main body along that same axis. Could be wrong though; I don't work very much with move objects.

Also, if you want to move it precisely, just experiment until you find the perfect amount, and declare a constant global variable with that value. Then, instead of moving your object to 1.0 or some other value, set it to 1.0 * PRECISE_MEASURE, where PRECISE_MEASURE is the true "OpenValue" and 1.0 changes based on how far "open" you want your object. Simple little workaround, but it may accomplish what you want without exhaustive testing and tweaking on the entity's properties. Well actually, it'll save you the tweaking. You'll still have to test it Smile

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2012, 02:32 AM by palistov.)
04-29-2012, 02:28 AM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41
RE: MoveAxis size

(04-29-2012, 02:28 AM)palistov Wrote: setting it to 1.0 will move the object along its axis a number of units equal to the size of the main body along that same axis. Could be wrong though; I don't work very much with move objects.
This is what I thought, but it seems to be a really sketchy way of dealing with them.

Well I guess I can experiment around to see if this is true or not, but in the meantime if anybody knows anything contrary to this it would be great to know before I spend hours blowing my brains out trying to figure out why my move objects aren't moving like I thought they would. :>

04-29-2012, 03:29 AM
Find