Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What kind of merchandise interest you the most?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
T-shirts
23.91%
154 23.91%
Hoodies
18.17%
117 18.17%
Caps
6.68%
43 6.68%
Plushies
21.12%
136 21.12%
Posters
23.60%
152 23.60%
Other (say what in post)
5.28%
34 5.28%
I would never buy any merchandise!!!
1.24%
8 1.24%
Total 644 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Want Amnesia Merchandise?
she Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Want Amnesia Merchandise?

(06-02-2012, 01:23 AM)Bridge Wrote: However Penumbra, as I said, put them on the map

not really. amnesia and its let's plays, reaction videos, and custom stories were that garnered popularity for the company, not the penumbra series. to say that penumbra "put them on the map" would imply that it was what made frictional well-known, which wouldn't be accurate at all. this is also something that is briefly outlined in the blog post i referred to earlier.

(06-02-2012, 01:23 AM)Bridge Wrote: >Who said anything about it being motivated by money anyway
>Obviously they want their profit margins to match or exceed their expenses

i'm sure they're going to be much less likely to invest time and money into making things that won't sell as readily. they're gauging the community's interest before putting anything up for sale for a reason. doesn't make them sellouts, they're just being practical.

keep in mind this is coming from someone who likes penumbra more than amnesia... and who really, really wants some penumbra plushies. i just can't get my hopes up. ;_;

[Image: f59ljn.gif]
06-02-2012, 02:16 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(06-02-2012, 02:16 AM)she Wrote: not really. amnesia and its let's plays, reaction videos, and custom stories were that garnered popularity for the company, not the penumbra series. to say that penumbra "put them on the map" would imply that it was what made frictional well-known, which wouldn't be accurate at all. this is also something that is briefly outlined in the blog post i referred to earlier.

i'm sure they're going to be much less likely to invest time and money into making things that won't sell as readily. they're gauging the community's interest before putting anything up for sale for a reason. doesn't make them sellouts, they're just being practical.

keep in mind this is coming from someone who likes penumbra more than amnesia... and who really, really wants some penumbra plushies. i just can't get my hopes up. ;_;
1. Penumbra had LPers and reaction videos too you know. No PewDiePies but you act as if it was completely unknown. It was very well received critically and quite popular. "On the map" is an idiom that refers to relative obscurity, not necessarily mainstream popularity. The tech demo wasn't widely known when it came out but Penumbra: Overture really impressed a lot of people with its advanced physics engine and sound design upon release, making Frictional Games a name to be reckoned with. If that's not "on the map" then I don't know what is. Amnesia had quite a lot of buzz around it before release, it wasn't just some game that came out all of a sudden and wowed a lot of people.

2. I didn't accuse anybody of being a sellout; simply that FG wants to please its fans by selling what they want to buy. Of course they're not going to sell something that no one wants to buy, but that doesn't mean the purpose of this thread was to find out where the big bucks lie. They can easily just turn Amnesia into a joke in order to make money like CrankyOldMan says, which is not what they are interested in.
06-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Find
she Offline

(06-02-2012, 02:36 AM)Bridge Wrote: Amnesia had quite a lot of buzz around it before release, it wasn't just some game that came out all of a sudden and wowed a lot of people.

it did, but i'm going off of the blog posts that i've been following since the game's release that mention things like this:

Quote:I think there have been more videos, discussions, etc released at the time of writing than we have accumulated for any of the Penumbra games.

which was taken from an entry that was made a week after amnesia's release.

originally, i was drawing comparisons to penumbra's popularity when juxtaposed against amnesia's, not penumbra's as a standalone game. i didn't want there to be a lack of penumbra merchandise just because everyone wants to see oil lanterns and halloween costumes and i don't really hear any resounding cries for giant rockworm sleeping bags. that's all.

(06-02-2012, 02:36 AM)Bridge Wrote: ... that doesn't mean the purpose of this thread was to find out where the big bucks lie.

of course, but it may have some impact (as well as what the COMMUNITY wants) on whats offered. which was why i wanted to put in my (albeit biased) two cents that penumbra merchandise should be given equal consideration, not to argue penumbra's popularity.

now i'm going to stop cluttering the thread and leave it open for people that want to suggest things. i think we all get that i want to see penumbra merch. posters would be awesome, but i prefer shirts/hoodies.

06-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Fair enough. I just don't see why the two aren't separable. It's not like Penumbra was just a fad, and that now people are only interested in Amnesia. Let's face it: FG are probably not going to make these t-shirts and posters available in stores at this point in time so the only people who would conceivably buy these things are the people on this forum and people interested enough to check out the website. Of both of those demographics, a high percentage has probably played Penumbra, and would gladly buy merchandise. Just saying.
06-02-2012, 03:49 AM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(06-02-2012, 01:15 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I would buy a shirt with the Amnesia cover with the rose on it.

How about the loading screens? Especially the one that is displayed Elevator - Entrance to Cistern (The one with Brennenburg).

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-02-2012, 11:14 AM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 01:15 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I would buy a shirt with the Amnesia cover with the rose on it.

How about the loading screens? Especially the one that is displayed Elevator - Entrance to Cistern (The one with Brennenburg).
That's actually a really good idea. I would probably buy one of those.
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Find
RawkBandMan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 35

That too. I would buy a poster or shirt of that one picture of the great hall. It's a flat drawing of almost the entire thing. (If I could find it again, I'll re post it here.)

I've come to learn to not fear the living, nor the dead... But the monsters that hide in closets.
06-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Find
she Offline

(06-02-2012, 11:45 PM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote:

That too. I would buy a poster or shirt of that one picture of the great hall. It's a flat drawing of almost the entire thing. (If I could find it again, I'll re post it here.)

never thought about the back hall, actually. something like this? i'd love to see that (or something similar) as a poster.

06-03-2012, 03:43 AM
Website Find
Sun Offline

Threads: 2

Id say a coffee mug and keychain

Some merit to posters as theres some beautifull sceneries

ps, i do however think that the playerbase is to small for this to actually get any income
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 04:29 AM by Sun.)
06-03-2012, 04:27 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(06-03-2012, 04:27 AM)Sun Wrote: Id say a coffee mug and keychain

Some merit to posters as theres some beautifull sceneries

ps, i do however think that the playerbase is to small for this to actually get any income
Well they don't need to make 100k units right at the start. Having a trial period to see what the community would conceivably buy and then making the merchandise proportional to those numbers would probably be the best idea. Then again I don't know anything about marketing so I don't know what the general practice is. But I do know that making new units once the old ones sell out is easier than getting rid of old units that are in 0 demand.

EDIT: Unless you meant profits. If you did, then I'll reiterate what I said before in this thread: not everything is motivated by money. Frictional already make enough money to pay all the salaries and continue working for quite some time and so this merchandizing idea is really just to please their loyal fans. I sent them an email about it a while ago, and I'm sure other people did as well, and so their goal is probably not to make a ton of money off of this. Having only minor profits after the expenses are covered would in that case just be an added bonus.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012, 11:54 AM by Bridge.)
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Find