Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
box lights or spot lights?
madifier Offline

Threads: 3
box lights or spot lights?

I'm going to be working on a large project custom story, and I would like to get the template items out of the way before diving too deep into decorating the individual areas. (me decorate well? yeah right.)

ANYWAY.
I was experimenting with the spot light in place of the setting sun or moon for atmosphere, but when I loaded up the area in-game I noticed several problems with the shadows: broken shapes as well as a shadow bound to the user. Strange as it was, I haven't been able to fix it. Something else I noticed while searching for my problem is that shadow casting is costly in processing speed.

My question:
Should I place multiple box lights around an area to make fake shadows of large rocks and walls, or should I continue to aim for the one spot light? Which will be easier on the user's computer?
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2012, 02:38 AM by madifier.)
06-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: box lights or spot lights?

(1a) Spotlights really far away make blocky shadows.

(1b) Change the Alphas of them to 0, that will save alot of performance.

(1c) Use a low intensity boxlight if you have moon (or sun) out + spotlights.

About the "broken shapes" can you a post a image? I'm not sure what your talking about.

(1d) Boxlights don't generate any shadows that I'm aware of.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2012, 02:23 AM by Rapture.)
06-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Find
madifier Offline

(06-06-2012, 02:22 AM)Rapture Wrote: (1a) Spotlights really far away make blocky shadows.

(1b) Change the Alphas of them to 0, that will save alot of performance.

(1c) Use a low intensity boxlight if you have moon (or sun) out + spotlights.

About the "broken shapes" can you a post a image? I'm not sure what your talking about.

(1d) Boxlights don't generate any shadows that I'm aware of.
1a) alrighty, I'll have to try a different position then
1d) correct. The fake shadows I'm talking about are... take a 3x3 grid for example, place box lights at each section except one, so an example would be a candle at location (0,0), a wall or curtain at (1,0), the grid point (2,0) would not have a box light or perhaps a darker light than the others. So 8 box lights are creating what a single spot light would do. But I'll try your recommendation of a closer spot light.

.jpg   broken shadows.jpg (Size: 73.77 KB / Downloads: 170)
The spot light is approximately the same angle as the sunset. I don't think the house shadow is suppose to look like that.
06-06-2012, 02:54 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

What's wrong with your skybox? :x

Shadows are somewhat arbitrary, but I would suggest tuning down the Reach of the spotlight so the ends aren't so shadow sharp.
06-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Find
madifier Offline

Interesting. thanks for the help with the light suggestions.

(tilts head) my skybox? For the moment it's a filler until I come up with something better or fix the pixelation that's in it. You like?

EDIT:
I made some changes in the level editor and found my spot light was set to low res shadows. that's what was causing such poor quality shadows. Seems like every time I turn around the level editor, material thing, or something either doesn't load right or crashes spontaneously. I may just make that my signature. XD
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2012, 02:25 AM by madifier.)
06-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Create a gobo instead Smile Saves performance. Simply imagine how you would like the shadow to look. Paint a black and white image of it. White = light, black = no light. Save as a .dds image --> Load on your spotlight.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Find
madifier Offline

(06-07-2012, 06:38 PM)Acies Wrote: Create a gobo instead Smile Saves performance. Simply imagine how you would like the shadow to look. Paint a black and white image of it. White = light, black = no light. Save as a .dds image --> Load on your spotlight.
I may use that when I'm indoors, dungeons and the lot, but with close to 130 outside areas, I might have to bite the bullet on performance. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Yes, you saw correctly, 130 areas and coupled with indoors that'll probably jump to 150+ at least. Probably be a year before I'm done. If your curious about the project, I'll give more details at a later date.

Seems like every time I turn around the level editor, the material thing,
or whatever, something either doesn't load right or crashes spontaneously.
06-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Find