Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Script Help Possible to Create New Gameplay Elements?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
Possible to Create New Gameplay Elements?

Hey there all. I've got a quick question for you all. I know that you can mess around with the gameplay mechanics with FCs, but I was wondering: Is it possible at all to add completely new gameplay elements? I'm not thinking anything super radical, maybe something simple like a radio which you carry in your inventory that when "used" will broadcast a sound file (The radio will not disappear BTW), a bit like how sanity potions will give you sanity increases when used.

Next, is it possible to adjust "categories" of the journal, and how the notes distribute themselves (Like say adding a "map" category)? Also, can you change the background image for notes?

The above are just a few things that are puzzling me, and will greatly bring development ideas I have to life if I learn that they are possible. Still, if anyone knows any other ways to make more "extreme" gameplay changes (Such as entirely new mechanics) feel free to throw something up here.

Thanks in advance!
(This post was last modified: 07-01-2012, 06:45 PM by Kreekakon.)
07-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Find
EXAWOLT Offline

Threads: 14
RE: Possible to Create New Gameplay Elements?

yes, you can add anything to amnesia as long it has right filetypes.
the note background depends on what note you use from the editor.
when creating a full conversion story you will learn much about the hole amnesia, like all effects activated when walking and stuff. there will be settings for pictures shown and what the note "category" name it will be moved into.
this is not so easy to fix, many TC´s can disable the main amnesia configurations, even if you haven´t changed anything special, its hard to tell what causes these problems sometimes.
(yes, u can add/change theese thing ^^)

im not sooo familiar to TC´creating, since i rage-quit last time^^
you can read all functions:
program(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/amnesia the dar descent/ config (if you got it from steam)
then open: menu.cfg
there it is for all the note configs and stuff Wink

simply nuff said

(This post was last modified: 07-01-2012, 07:21 PM by EXAWOLT.)
07-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Yes I know you can alter existing things in FCs, but is it possible to create entirely NEW things? Like say a simple example would be a potion which restores both health, and sanity, or like I said before, a radio which brodcasts a sound clip when used.
07-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Well, creating different backgrounds for notes is possible without a full conversion. Creating an item that restores multiple player attributes i do not think it is possible with either (but i'm not entirely sure on this). As for the radio idea, that would (may) be better off as a flashlight radio. I'm not sure if it is possible to change Journal menu categories.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
07-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(07-01-2012, 08:20 PM)Your Computer Wrote: As for the radio idea, that would (may) be better off as a flashlight radio.
Umm...I'm not too sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate? Do you mean replace the lantern with a radio? If so, how would you play different sound file for different scenarios? And, also if you do this wouldn't you lose you "illumination" device?

Also, as another idea I just had: Is it possible to place a picture on the player's screen/HUD (Which means it is part of the gameplay screen, and will follow the player's sight)? If so, is it possible to decide where it goes?
07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(07-01-2012, 08:27 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Umm...I'm not too sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate? Do you mean replace the lantern with a radio? If so, how would you play different sound file for different scenarios? And, also if you do this wouldn't you lose you "illumination" device?

Also, as another idea I just had: Is it possible to place a picture on the player's screen/HUD (Which means it is part of the gameplay screen, and will follow the player's sight)? If so, is it possible to decide where it goes?

http://www.google.com/search?q=flashligh...2QW-g8WkCg
Whether you decide to play the sound at "Player" or on the flash light entity would be up to you.

The only thing that i know of that can attach to the player is the lantern entity. You can do what a glimpse at the horizon has done, or stick with a much simpler lantern entity.

07-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(07-01-2012, 08:44 PM)Your Computer Wrote: http://www.google.com/search?q=flashligh...2QW-g8WkCg
Whether you decide to play the sound at "Player" or on the flash light entity would be up to you.

The only thing that i know of that can attach to the player is the lantern entity. You can do what a glimpse at the horizon has done, or stick with a much simpler lantern entity.
Ah okay that makes much more sense =)

*Thirsty for knowledge mode activate*
So say I was to make my radio a "lantern"? How can I make the player "use" the radio to call the person on the other end for information? Remember that this should be different from just "turning on the lantern", as sometimes the player will just want to get some light as opposed to using the radio. Also, the information would have to be different each time you used the radio depending on the scenario, hence requiring a different sound file to be played each time. How would this be done? (If it's doable at all)
07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

(07-01-2012, 09:09 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: So say I was to make my radio a "lantern"? How can I make the player "use" the radio to call the person on the other end for information? Remember that this should be different from just "turning on the lantern", as sometimes the player will just want to get some light as opposed to using the radio. Also, the information would have to be different each time you used the radio depending on the scenario, hence requiring a different sound file to be played each time. How would this be done? (If it's doable at all)

Well, i'm not sure if the lantern entity type supports this, but you could probably use PlayPropAnimation on the lantern to achieve different animations.

07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Website Find