Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Should Penumbra continue?
Dr.Rumstain Offline

Threads: 12
Should Penumbra continue?

To tell you the truth, I think Penumbra Black Plague is my 7th favorite game ever and after I beat Requiem, I wanted more. So I wanted to ask you guys, should Frictional Games make a new Penumbra in the future (after A Machine for Pigs of course) or should they go on with a new series. Thanks for the feedback.

P.S: Also, do you want it with the HPL1 Engine, HPL2 Engine, or the upcoming HPL3 Engine (I would rather it be HPL1, but that is my opinion.)
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2012, 10:43 PM by Dr.Rumstain.)
07-04-2012, 02:44 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Should Penumbra continue?

Honestly, the Penumbra story with Philip was over in Black Plague; Requiem wasn't even necessary. Therefore, I see little reason to keep pushing the series. On the other hand, I would really enjoy a new modern themed horror game from Frictional Games, now that they have more experience.

I've always enjoyed the modern themed horror setting, it always made more sense to me and is more relatable than an abandoned castle from the 1500's. I've never been one to believe in the supernatural that is almost always present in the older settings (i.e. ghosts, demons, spirits), but I feel that genetically mutated human/animal type monsters are scarier simply because it is possible, making it more relatable and overall a more personal experience.

tl;dr - Not Philip's Penumbra, but perhaps a new story under the same name; oh, and hpl3.

I rate it 3 memes.
07-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(07-04-2012, 02:44 AM)Dr.Rumstain Wrote: To tell you the truth, I think Penumbra Black Plague is my favorite game ever and after I beat Requiem, I wanted more. So I wanted to ask you guys, should Frictional Games make a new Penumbra in the future (after A Machine for Pigs of course) or should they go on with a new series. Thanks for the feedback.

P.S: Also, do you want it with the HPL1 Engine, HPL2 Engine, or the upcoming HPL3 Engine (I would rather it be HPL1, but that is my opinion.)
Well to start off with, Frictional games are not the ones making A machine for pigs, they're developing something else.

And if his was done they should obviously use the most recent verision of the engine, going backwards will not help anyone and probably just slow development down due to inferior technology.
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Yeah, as andy said the story for penumbra is completed and there is no reason to go on with it. I would like frictional to move on to whatever they feel is next for them, and from what I hear it is more modern styled and has fewer puzzles and scares. But there's no info on it right now so I can't really say. What I do hope though, is that they create a series, not just a one game deal like amnesia.

Also I'm not sure why you would prefer the HPL1 engine, I can't think of any benefits it might have compared to the newer ones..

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Find
Dr.Rumstain Offline

(07-04-2012, 07:49 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Yeah, as andy said the story for penumbra is completed and there is no reason to go on with it. I would like frictional to move on to whatever they feel is next for them, and from what I hear it is more modern styled and has fewer puzzles and scares. But there's no info on it right now so I can't really say. What I do hope though, is that they create a series, not just a one game deal like amnesia.

Also I'm not sure why you would prefer the HPL1 engine, I can't think of any benefits it might have compared to the newer ones..
I just thought HPL1 seemed......better.......HPL2 made a Giant wood plank feel like it was a feather and that you were some kind of Physics deifying, baby eating, child man potato thing.......or something. Ehh, also, yeah, I know Penumbra ended with Black Plague, but I still want more...........at least something from Howards P.O.V before the events of Pen: Overture.

(07-04-2012, 01:27 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(07-04-2012, 02:44 AM)Dr.Rumstain Wrote: To tell you the truth, I think Penumbra Black Plague is my favorite game ever and after I beat Requiem, I wanted more. So I wanted to ask you guys, should Frictional Games make a new Penumbra in the future (after A Machine for Pigs of course) or should they go on with a new series. Thanks for the feedback.

Well to start off with, Frictional games are not the ones making A machine for pigs, they're developing something else.
Yeah, thechineseroom (the guys who made Dear Esther, another game I hold dear) is developing it, right?

(07-04-2012, 02:59 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Honestly, the Penumbra story with Philip was over in Black Plague; Requiem wasn't even necessary. Therefore, I see little reason to keep pushing the series. On the other hand, I would really enjoy a new modern themed horror game from Frictional Games, now that they have more experience.

I've always enjoyed the modern themed horror setting, it always made more sense to me and is more relatable than an abandoned castle from the 1500's. I've never been one to believe in the supernatural that is almost always present in the older settings (i.e. ghosts, demons, spirits), but I feel that genetically mutated human/animal type monsters are scarier simply because it is possible, making it more relatable and overall a more personal experience.

tl;dr - Not Philip's Penumbra, but perhaps a new story under the same name; oh, and hpl3.
Yep, I know it was over when Black Plague finished (I kinda think Requiem is Portal without a portal gun, THAT HASN'T BEEN SAID ALOT) but I would like to see another Penumbra game, like (as I stated before,) from Howard's P.O.V, or as you said, a new story with the same name.

(07-04-2012, 07:49 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Yeah, as andy said the story for penumbra is completed and there is no reason to go on with it. I would like frictional to move on to whatever they feel is next for them, and from what I hear it is more modern styled and has fewer puzzles and scares. But there's no info on it right now so I can't really say. What I do hope though, is that they create a series, not just a one game deal like amnesia.

I kinda would rather it be HPL3 now that you mention it, as long as it fixes the whole physics defying, baby eating, man child potato thing, because I find being a
physics defying, baby eating, man child potato thing annoying.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2012, 08:19 PM by Dr.Rumstain.)
07-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I don't remember the physics being bad in Amnesia, I remember hating them in Penumbra though. I thought the Amnesia physics were a real step in the right direction, so hopefully in HPL3 they will be even more realistic.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
07-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Find
Dr.Rumstain Offline

(07-04-2012, 08:32 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I don't remember the physics being bad in Amnesia, I remember hating them in Penumbra though. I thought the Amnesia physics were a real step in the right direction, so hopefully in HPL3 they will be even more realistic.
True.
07-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(07-04-2012, 08:39 PM)Dr.Rumstain Wrote:
(07-04-2012, 08:32 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I don't remember the physics being bad in Amnesia, I remember hating them in Penumbra though. I thought the Amnesia physics were a real step in the right direction, so hopefully in HPL3 they will be even more realistic.
True.

Certain objects seeming light in amnesia is not the engines fault, you can easily change the weight of the objects.
07-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Find
MaZiCUT Offline

Threads: 31

Penumbra should not continue.

But another modern horror game about slender-man and being in creepy woods, would give me sleep depression.

Hi.
07-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Website Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

The Penumbra story is done. Though I'd love a new game involving elements from Penumbra, like the Archaic.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Find