Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Agree with Jack Thompson or No?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I agree with the man.
5.56%
1 5.56%
No, I don't.
61.11%
11 61.11%
I am too scared to answer because Jack Thompson is under my bed.
33.33%
6 33.33%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Jack Thompson (hide your games!)
Dr.Rumstain Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Jack Thompson (hide your games!)

(07-14-2012, 08:22 PM)Traggey Wrote:
(07-14-2012, 07:48 PM)Scraper Wrote: To a point I agree with him. Shops should not sell 18+ / M rated games to children.

If I was working for GameStop or any other game retailer anywhere, I would not sell games to those who seem to be under age unless with proper ID.
If parents buy them for their kids, then that's their business.

But pretty much the rest he's talking about I do not agree.
If someone wants to disagree with me then feel free.
Not sure I agree with this, it's a parents resonsibility to keep their eyes on these things.

Here in sweden the rating system does not actually affect in any kind of way, you could be ten years old and noone would stop you from purchasing an 18 + rated game.
Huh, well here in America, its the same thing. You could be about 8 or 9 and buy Manhunt 1 and 2 with no questions asked.

Here lies a man who did no good,
and if he lived,
he never would.
When he is gone or how he fairs,
nobody knows and nobody cares.
07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

In Finland, I know that it is illegal to sell 18+ / M rated games to minors and I even see some shops saying that they do not sell tobacco, alcohol or movies and games (rated 18+ / M) to under aged kids.
But I believe it can differ from seller to seller (with movies and games) and their personal beliefs on how they deal with these and law. I believe most don't really even care about it and just sell them no questions asked.

Personally if I was the seller, I would not sell these games to kids because I see that as a seller, it is my responsibility to obey the given age restriction and law, etc. .
However, if they come in with their parent who buys it for them, then it's their decision and I won't take part of their rearing methods.

I believe you understand my point.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM by Yuhaney.)
07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Website Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

Games for adults should not be sold to kids. Other than that, I don't think violent and/or sexualized video games have an impact on mature minds.

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
07-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(07-14-2012, 08:54 PM)Scraper Wrote: In Finland, I know that it is illegal to sell 18+ / M rated games to minors and I even see some shops saying that they do not sell tobacco, alcohol or movies and games (rated 18+ / M) to under aged kids.
But I believe it can differ from seller to seller (with movies and games) and their personal beliefs on how they deal with these and law. I believe most don't really even care about it and just sell them no questions asked.

Personally if I was the seller, I would not sell these games to kids because I see that as a seller, it is my responsibility to obey the given age restriction and law, etc. .
However, if they come in with their parent who buys it for them, then it's their decision and I won't take part of their rearing methods.

Yeah, I believe I would do the same, even though these ratings are no actually part of any law, they're just ''guidelines''.
07-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(07-14-2012, 08:54 PM)Scraper Wrote: In Finland, I know that it is illegal to sell 18+ / M rated games to minors and I even see some shops saying that they do not sell tobacco, alcohol or movies and games (rated 18+ / M) to under aged kids.

This is my problem with that mindset, it's not that games are intended for certain ages, it's that their intended for people at different levels of maturity. A 13 year old could play a game with really messed up themes and imagery and what not, but if they're mature enough to handle it then it wouldn't be any different that if an adult played it. I, for one, actually did play Amnesia at that age. Though at that age, I was at a point where that kind of imagery didn't have too much of a negative impact on me. I'd learned by that age how to handle that kind of stuff. With that said though, I understand the purpose of the rating system. Most kids by that age aren't at that stage yet, but my point is deciding "the majority of the people in this group cannot handle this material so none of them should be allowed to experience it" is very narrow minded.

Posting Freak
07-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Website Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

How can I agree with someone who I don't know?

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
07-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(07-14-2012, 10:23 PM)Kman Wrote: This is my problem with that mindset, it's not that games are intended for certain ages, it's that their intended for people at different levels of maturity. A 13 year old could play a game with really messed up themes and imagery and what not, but if they're mature enough to handle it then it wouldn't be any different that if an adult played it. I, for one, actually did play Amnesia at that age. Though at that age, I was at a point where that kind of imagery didn't have too much of a negative impact on me. I'd learned by that age how to handle that kind of stuff. With that said though, I understand the purpose of the rating system. Most kids by that age aren't at that stage yet, but my point is deciding "the majority of the people in this group cannot handle this material so none of them should be allowed to experience it" is very narrow minded.

Yes, I agree with you that some people can handle different stuff while others can't.

But if I'd start to sell 18+ / M rated games to some under age kids and then tell their friends, who I don't see as mature, that they can't buy the game, it would be unfair.
And even if I did sell it to every under age person, it's still illegal here.
Those things, and more importantly the later one, are enough for me to say that it's a no-no in my case.

I see my point to be a principle more than being a "narrow-minded".
But as I said, people can disagree with me if they want.

(This post was last modified: 07-15-2012, 12:06 AM by Yuhaney.)
07-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Website Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

Jack Thompson already lost, he can't do anything anymore. The gaming community won. Case in point, legally impossible to put any sort of ban on games, which is what he wants. His basic argument is that violent video games have repeatedly been used by teenagers as "murder simulators" to rehearse violent plans. Brutal truth: Everybody knows that idea is bull. That idea is stupid; you know what idea is stupid? Call of Duty being any kind of simulater for real life firearms. The whole premise is non-exsistant and anyone who would argue otherwise is full of it.

Insanity. Static.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM by Juby.)
07-15-2012, 01:56 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

Dat face ...

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
07-15-2012, 02:19 AM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak