Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: It is
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Shit.
87.88%
29 87.88%
I like it.
12.12%
4 12.12%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Why i think call of duty is shit.
Kazakarumariou Away
An angry man.

Threads: 8
RE: Why i think call of duty is shit.

(07-26-2012, 10:21 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(07-26-2012, 08:56 PM)Harthex Wrote: What? This many people hate it even though it's like one of the most popular multiplayer games?
Is this what people on the forums really think of this game? or does no one here have integrity?
Wait, so.. "If you have a different opinion to me you have no integrity"
Either bigoted, or a troll, or both.
What? Did you even read my comment? It feels like no one here has integrity. A lot of people love that one guy called PewDiePie or something, but everyone here is like "Oh that guy is fucking stupid", and everyone here is like "call of duty is fucking stupid.". I was expecting most positive comments about the game. Also I added a QUESTION mark at the end of my sentence(s).
07-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I respect your opinion dark side, but some of your opinions are ignorant, and I have to speak out against a few of them. I'll only quote the points I disagree with. Anything I didn't quote means I either agree with it, or I have nothing to say against that particular opinion of yours. SO, don't freak out if the below post seems mostly negative.
(07-26-2012, 07:32 PM)the dark side Wrote: 1. the storyline,. perhaps its me, but i find COD storylines to be massivley offensive, they are terribly underwritten with lifeless cliche filled scripts filled with needless f bombs and cardboard cut out charachters, they are also hopelessly out of date by having russian communists as the main villains, that sort of thing should have gone out with the 1980s, they are litereally just an excuse for virtual genocide. they are also 100% pro american, with the exception of cod 4, they seem to cram the "stars and stripes" down your throat, by posing the american army as the only people brave, strong and handsome enough to save the world, i presume the rest of us are too busy stumbling around like the warmington on sea home guard after too much of Mrs Fox's elderberry wine... i find that offensive. but then, im not really that keen on americans, so im probably biased.
I agree that the plot is very cliche in most parts, but holy hell...pro-american? Have you even played most of the games? The main protagonists in the Modern Warfare series are godamn British, and in one of them the antagonist, and corrupt was an American.

Quote:2. mindless and repetitive gameplay, you walk, you Aim down sites, you
shoot loads of people. you walk to the next area, you quick time event,
you walk, you kill loads more people, ad nauseum. No Stealth, no
Puzzles, no item finding, no map exploration, in my personal opinion,
even the earliest examples of the FPS genre such as wolfenstein 3d offer
more varied and intelligent gameplay than call of duty ever has.
Most of it is repetitive yes, but there are still shining moments in between. And, no stealth? There is at least one completely stealth based mission in every Call Of Duty game. As for no puzzles, or item finding...this game is a shooter for chirst's sake, not every good game in the universe has to cram puzzles, or item finding in there to have integrity. I'm not saying that Call of Duty does, but it's a genre of game that doesn't need it.
Quote:3.
it is Very patronizing, come on, this is obvious, it shows you were to
go with waypoints, despite the level being a corridor between invisible
walls, they show you how to do objectives with flashing icons, they even
tell you what buttons to press! come on, i've got learning
difficuilites and im feeling totally patronised!
Call of Duty is a fast-paced game. Not showing these would leave the player searching for things, and therefore breaking the flow of gameplay.

Quote:4. it is
impossioble to die. thanks to regen health and "rasperry jam o vision"
it is literally impossible to die in a COD game, or clone therof (its
also impossible to shoot) just take cover when the jam splatters the
screen, there isnt a challenge, you might as well just watch a film.
Have you ever played Veteran difficulty? You die in four or five shots...which are shot from an automatic machine gun.

Quote:8. Short. 2
hours, 2 little hours and gangzta rap plays as the stars n stripes waves
behind the credits.. W..T...F.. ive got older shooters were one Single
Level takes more than 2 hours!
I'm seriously suspecting that by this point you've never properly played a Call of Duty game. No matter how fast you speed run it, there's no way you can beat any Call of Duty in two hours.

Now onto another matter...
Harthex Wrote:What? Did you even read my comment? It feels like no one here has
integrity. A lot of people love that one guy called PewDiePie or
something, but everyone here is like "Oh that guy is fucking stupid",
and everyone here is like "call of duty is fucking stupid.". I was
expecting most positive comments about the game. Also I added a QUESTION
mark at the end of my sentence(s).
Not everyone dislikes Pewdiepie. I like him for one, but learn to respect people's opinions if they can properly say why they have them. If you look through this thread again, most people have reasons why they like, or don't like Call of Duty.

AS for that question mark...learn to word your sentences better, because from the way you worded it, it looked like you were accusing everyone of being without integrity. It can easily lead to misunderstanding even if it wasn't your intention.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012, 07:20 AM by Kreekakon.)
07-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Find
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9

Kreekaron, dont worry, as you explained the reasons behind your post, i understand and accept them, and i will try and explain as to why i have those opinions, its not easy for me though so bear with me if i seem a little "confused" or if i Repeat myself or come across as "capitain obvious".

1. story

i did mention "with the exception of cod 4". the first modern warfare, i was suprised, and actually, delighted at how pro SAS that game was, sadly, when i rented cod 6, and from videos ive seen of cod 8, it seems the SAS took a back seat in exchange for 1. a rewrite of red dawn (cod 6) and 2. activisions take on battlefeild 3 (cod 8), perhaps i kind of mis-interpreted the point of the games. i do get confused sometimes.

yes, i remember Shepard was an American, that wasnt a bad plot twist actually, sadly, it was a little too telegraphed, but, ill admit, it was pretty cool having an american villain. i am just going on the majority of the call of duty games. i know the americans are very patriotic, and thats fine, i feel the same about my own country, i just think its a shame the cod games and it clones have to cram that down our gullets, Cod 4, yes, did allow the british players a chance to feel that warm patriotic glow, but it seem to me, that, the other COD titles either backed that down (Mw2 and 3) or removed it entirely.

2. Repetition

i actually consider, personally, FPS and COD (and clones) as two entirely seperate genres, FPS to me is something more in the style of the classics, but, as this is a forum, with loads of people with totally different interpretations of gaming, i decided to just use the generic FPS tag to avoid seeming like a deranged troll. i mean, yes, i know Call of duty is a very fast paced game, but, its too fast paced, i mean, i dont see why the cant slow the pace down a bit in sections to allow a bit of puzzling or item finding, as then the game will have a balanced pace, look at DOOM, every bit as fast paced in the main run as COD, but, with item finding and puzzles to slow it down here and then and balance it out so it never gets stale. perhaps i am getting old before my years but i dont see why a game has to be constantly at 300 MPH, i cant see why it cant have a couple of 70 MPH sections here and there to balance it out.

Also, err, perhaps ive played the wrong COD titles, but i never encountered what i call "stealth", just sections were being spotted results in scripted game over. to me, that isn't stealth, stealth to me has dynamic AI to be avoided, Ai that will track you and use sound and vision to find you, like metal gear, not "stand up here and the nazis will flamethrower you to death, so dont stand up!" scripted crouching. i agree with pewdiepie, COD is just scripted to feel like there is stealth or AI, when really its just a script.

i find that, personally, to be lazy programming, something i have never tolerated. when i pay money, and games these days are very expensive, i want the best, if i dont get the best, i want my money back. ive always been that way because money isnt that easy to come by when you are disabled.

To avoid seeming too petty or elitist, let my give a parallel example, you wouldnt be happy, say, if you baught a brand new Ford "BOSS 302" Mustang and suddenly, the engine falls out because the work force have been too lazy to do the bolts up, you'd want your money back so you could go buy a Chevrolet Camaro SS, well, just scripting the game because you are too lazy to programme ai, to me, is pretty much the same as not doing up the engine bolts up on a car, its inexcusable, its second rate, and i want my money back because i've not got the quality i have paid for, and i want my money back to buy some older games off amazon from the days when QA departments still did there job properly.

3. Patroniseation

im sorry, but, come on, "press (something) to Reload..." i dont need telling what button to press! that really is being patronizing, just flash the ammo counter red when im getting low, lets people know they are running out of ammo without the game "wiping there bottom" for them! , same as , when it comes to a door they put "Space bar: Open", just put "Open", i know what button opens the door, i dont need to be shown the button every single time! i can understand how the hints would be usefull to really special people, but, at least offer those of us who dont need the help the option to turn the darn controll hints off!... its that, the total uneeded "mandatory patroniseation" is what really winds me up, also, you dont need the glowing boxes either, i dont see what is wrong with just a good old fashioned "action" icon, like the crosshairs forming a green box, or a hand appearing under the crosshairs, it worked in RTCW, and that could get pretty hectic paced at times... also, "gameplay flow"? can you explain that please? i dont understand. to me finding the objectives is all part of the gameplay experience, again, my age is probably showing.

4. no Challenge

i played veteran on cod-4. i am afraid my complaint still stands, either lady luck was seriously on my side, or the game had glitched out on me and knocked out the health cut out, but, even on veteran, i didnt take a single dirt nap. thinking about it, i probably fell victim to a glitch in the health system, as i said, COD games are kind of rushed out for the "mass sales" periods, so they are not very reliable.

8. short.

i didnt put much thaught into it no, i speedran, i will admit, i practically welded down the Sprint key, as i didnt enjoy the experience, i just wanted to get through as fast as possible (i am one of these people who beleives in finishing a game, no matter how little i am enjoying it, when i have started it) ok, 2 hours is probably an exaggeration, it just "feels" short, there are COD clones however, according to gamespot, that can be done in 2 hours or less without speedrunning, and they have youtube vids to proove it. in the afternoons, i am only allowed to play between 1:30 Pm and 5Pm. and i have been known to finish a COD game start to finish in that time span, ok, so yes, it is probably longer than 2 hours, and i am sorry for that troll like exaggeration, but, it still stands that i do have some old school shooters were 1 level can take longer than the average entire cod game or clone therof.

Perhaps im just "too old" and set in my ways for modern gaming.
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2012, 09:00 PM by the dark side.)
07-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(07-27-2012, 07:56 PM)the dark side Wrote: i did mention "with the exception of cod 4". the first modern warfare, i was suprised, and actually, delighted at how pro SAS that game was, sadly, when i rented cod 6, and from videos ive seen of cod 8, it seems the SAS took a back seat in exchange for 1. a rewrite of red dawn (cod 6) and 2. activisions take on battlefeild 3 (cod 8), perhaps i kind of mis-interpreted the point of the games. i do get confused sometimes.
This is kind of a silly thing to argue about, but the SAS wasn't the point or true main character for the long run. It was Price, Soap, and their friends in that.

Quote: Cod 4, yes, did allow the british players a chance to feel
that warm patriotic glow, but it seem to me, that, the other COD titles
either backed that down (Mw2 and 3) or removed it entirely.
Removed it entirely? I have to disagree with that entirely, as in MW2, and MW3 the only characters I actually gave a damn about what happened to were the original role call of Soap, Price, and related people.

Quote:i mean, yes, i know Call of duty is a very fast paced game, but, its too fast paced, i mean, i dont see why the cant slow the pace down a bit in sections to allow a bit of puzzling or item finding, as then the game will have a balanced pace, look at DOOM, every bit as fast paced in the main run as COD, but,
with item finding and puzzles to slow it down here and then and balance it out so it never gets stale. perhaps i am getting old before my years but i dont see why a game has to be constantly at 300 MPH, i cant see why it cant have a couple of 70 MPH sections here and there to balance it out.
Doom is a poor comparison to use in this situation. Doom is a horror game (Or at least a action horror title trying to be one), so I can understand it wants to try, and sometimes slow down to try, and let atmosphere soak in.

If you're so concerned with fast-paced gameplay, go play the stealth sections again. Those should be slow enough for you to enjoy, and while one mission might not be enough to balance it out as you say, it should be a interesting deviation.

Quote:Also, err, perhaps ive played the wrong COD titles, but i never encountered what i call "stealth", just sections were being spotted results in scripted game over. to me, that isn't stealth, stealth to me has dynamic AI to be avoided, Ai that will track you and use sound and vision to find you, like metal gear, not "stand up here and the nazis will flamethrower you to death, so dont stand up!" scripted crouching. i agree with pewdiepie, COD is just scripted to feel like there is stealth or AI, when really its just a script.
Weeelllll...strictly speaking the stealth in Call of Duty was always dynamic, except that during campaign, the game will keep giving you hints on how to do the stealth so you don't get stuck. If you want true dynamic stealth, go play the game's challenge modes. That's what you're looking for right there. I can understand why it wasn't like that in campaign mode because if it was, it would've pissed alot of people off for being too hard/vague in how to progress.

Quote:To avoid seeming too petty or elitist, let my give a parallel example, you wouldnt be happy, say, if you baught a brand new Ford "BOSS 302" Mustang and suddenly, the engine falls out because the work force have been too lazy to do the bolts up, you'd want your money back so you could go buy a Chevrolet Camaro SS,
The following statement is totally irrelevant, and off-topic, but your example reflects a "game-breaking issue", whereas lazy AI is annoying in games, it's usually (hopefully at least) not game breaking.

Quote:im sorry, but, come on, "press (something) to Reload..." i dont need telling what button to press! that really is being patronizing, just flash the ammo counter red when im getting low, lets people know they are running out of ammo without the game "wiping there bottom" for them! , same as , when it comes to a door they put "Space bar: Open", just put "Open", i know what button opens the door, i dont need to be shown the button every single time! i can understand how the hints would be usefull to really special people, but, at least offer those of us who dont need the help the option to turn the darn controll hints off!... its that, the total uneeded "mandatory patroniseation" is what really winds me up, also, you dont need the glowing boxes either, i dont see what is wrong with just a good old fashioned "action" icon, like the crosshairs forming a green box, or a hand appearing under the crosshairs, it worked in RTCW, and that could get pretty hectic paced at times... also, "gameplay flow"? can you explain that please? i dont understand. to me finding the objectives is all part of the gameplay experience, again, my age is probably showing.
That is because we are all veteran gamers. Ever wonder why games will keep saying "Use mouse to look around", and "WASD to move"? That's because no matter how many games are ever released, there will always be first-time gamers to everything, and they need to be educated on how the game works. Also, showing what button to click is to act as a caution to if we ever were to suddenly forget what button to press to open a door for example, and we had to go look for it in controls, which would break the flow of gameplay, whereas if you just saw the button you could just press it.

It helps occasionally, and isn't overdone, so that's good enough for me.

Also, what gameplay flow means that it feels like you're constantly linking one action after another without feeling like there was anything "foreign" to the cycle interrupting the cycle of whatever you're doing at the moment. It is a extremely vital element to make fast-paced game appealing, and not boring.

Quote:i played veteran on
cod-4. i am afraid my complaint still stands, either lady luck was
seriously on my side, or the game had glitched out on me and knocked out
the health cut out, but, even on veteran, i didnt take a single dirt
nap. thinking about it, i probably fell victim to a glitch in the health
system, as i said, COD games are kind of rushed out for the "mass
sales" periods, so they are not very reliable.
Lady luck was on your side. You will die from five bullets on Veteran difficulty. You can't just charge into anything on this difficulty. You have to play it super safe.
07-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

Quit being such b-tchy little girls - if you want a good shooter play Doom.

07-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Find
Kazakarumariou Away
An angry man.

Threads: 8

(07-27-2012, 10:24 AM)Robosprog Wrote:
(07-27-2012, 12:57 AM)Harthex Wrote:
Spoiler below!

(07-26-2012, 10:21 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(07-26-2012, 08:56 PM)Harthex Wrote: What? This many people hate it even though it's like one of the most popular multiplayer games?
Is this what people on the forums really think of this game? or does no one here have integrity?
Wait, so.. "If you have a different opinion to me you have no integrity"
Either bigoted, or a troll, or both.

What? Did you even read my comment? It feels like no one here has integrity. A lot of people love that one guy called PewDiePie or something, but everyone here is like "Oh that guy is fucking stupid", and everyone here is like "call of duty is fucking stupid.". I was expecting most positive comments about the game. Also I added a QUESTION mark at the end of my sentence(s).
I for one, enjoy Pewdiepie's videos and find him as a person when he has been on these forums fairly respectful towards people. I dislike Call of Duty for reasons I have stated. Anyway, just because it's popular doesn't mean it's a good game, I mean, look at Transformers and Twilight, awful films that are popular. Some people like some things, others different things.
Something's different about this post. It's like you're not arguing with me, just talking about your opinions. I thought you were someone who just bitches all the time. xD
07-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Find
Harlequin40 Offline

Threads: 0
Bug  RE: Why i think call of duty is shit.

(07-20-2012, 12:31 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote:
(07-17-2012, 10:42 PM)GeneralGregsworth Wrote: I agree 100% with Palistov.

The only reason people say CoD is shit is because they haven't played the campaign, haven't really got any great adrenaline from the multiplayer like me or other people, or they just either get killed all the time and just rage-quited the game.

And the most reason it is hated is because there is a lot of kids, well who you can say are basicly faggots. They can't spell, they rage and they ruin the adrenaline experience into a rage-hell.
I thought this whole thread was just about multiplayer, so I voted 'Shit'. I actually quite like the Campaign, but that's about it :\
the only call of duty games that are worthwhile playing are the second world war games,the modern war
fare versions are totally outclassed by battlefield 2,the expansions,battlefield 3 and its expansions and the game that will destroy any remnant of call of duty will be battlefield 4
09-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

Say what you want about the developers and the publishers but I have to *sort* of give them some credit for having a game every year. The way they do that, by having multiple studios working on cod titles 365 days a year, and how they don't seem to have any problems with the development OR launch of the games is a bit impressive.

Sure, the games are barely discernible from each other but hey.

I really enjoyed COD 2 and 4, the rest have been meh. Not ''shit'', not terrible just...ok.
09-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Made an account to bump a thread over a year old... Nice.
09-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Find