Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom story test: Help wanted
Mastersarge Offline

Threads: 7
Custom story test: Help wanted

Hello! My name's Mastersarge! I recently purchased and played Amnesia for the first time. But now, I want to design my own CS for the first time. ^^ But I need some help. If anyone here who is knowledgeable in scripting please see me out. Also, if there's anyone willing to offer me advice and help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey, how ya doing?
07-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Find
Athom Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Custom story test: Help wanted

(07-18-2012, 01:32 AM)Mastersarge Wrote: Hello! My name's Mastersarge! I recently purchased and played Amnesia for the first time. But now, I want to design my own CS for the first time. ^^ But I need some help. If anyone here who is knowledgeable in scripting please see me out. Also, if there's anyone willing to offer me advice and help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Hey I'm not a master, but I have learned most of what I know form this website!
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions

That has 99% of all functions usable in the hps file.

Just in case you dont know anything, here are some important things you NEED to know
First, go to your redist folder in your Amnesia folder. There will be a folder called custom stories. Open it and create a folder in it called whatever you want. You need three more things in here. You need a folder called maps, a config file called custom_story_settings.cfg, and the lang file called extra_english.lang. In the maps file, you will have one thing when you start. the hps file. you will name this wile like this (STORY NAME).hps The layout for this file is below. Now for your cfg. layout for that is also below. and your lang is below as well.

here is how you write out the .hps file. name the file (YOUR MAP FILE NAME).hps This is just the layout for the hps where you will add in your script.

////////////////////////////
//Run first time starting map
void OnStart()
{

}

//Run when entering map
void OnEnter()
{

}
//Run when leaving map
void OnLeave()
{

}

Here is your custom_story_settings.cfg

<Main
Name="MAP NAME"
Author="MAP AUTHOR"

MapsFolder="maps/"
StartMap="YOUR MAP NAME".map
StartPos="PlayerStartArea_1
/>

Note that you will name your start position area whatever you name this one in the cfg!

Now here is the layout for the extra_english.lang Note that this part is only going to contain the description of the map

<LANGUAGE>

<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
<Entry Name="Description">YOUR MAP DESCRIPTION</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

This should be all you need to start out. Make your map with the Amnesia Map Editor. It can be found in MANY places. Ask somebody more skilled than me if you need anything else! Your Computer would be a GREAT person to ask. Awesome scripter! Have fun creating!

Current Projects: The Cure 15%
4Shared Download: http://ow.ly/cqjk4
Youtube Video: http://ow.ly/cq2LR
(This post was last modified: 07-19-2012, 10:33 AM by Athom.)
07-19-2012, 10:32 AM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

I remember a while back I made this for somebody -
It's all the "prep" work. Includes all the basic files.
http://www.mediafire.com/?03uo57clax2u5c1

As for advice, keep working at it. The more you do anything, the better you get. Look at a few tutorials and get a general idea of how some stuff works. Try to experiment and learn new things by yourself, but if you're not built like that, it's fine too. Start off basic and work your way up; I've started at key-door functions, but now am on pressure plate puzzles and economy. Also, remember to have fun while your learning!

I always mention in these type of posts that I am willing to give some of my free time to explain things via PM or any other method Smile

Insanity. Static.
07-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Find
Mastersarge Offline

Threads: 7

Alright, do I use HPL language editor or whatever? Or do I use something like notepad or word?

Hey, how ya doing?
07-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Find