Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model-/MaterialEditor crashes when trying to create a billboard! D:
Wrathborn771 Offline

Threads: 10
Sad  Model-/MaterialEditor crashes when trying to create a billboard! D:

Hey guys,
So, I've been making PNG-pictures (converted into .dds) into billboards quite many times now in the past (like 12 of them), to have a custom picture showing on the wall in a custom story. But yesterday when I tried to do one, the Model-/MaterialEditor just crashed (black box error) when entering the billboards folder!
I tried re-installing and it worked, so I succesfully made a .mat file for one of the .dds, and later that night I went to sleep. Now when I woke up and tried to make another .mat it just crashes in the same spot again!! It takes like 30 minutes to re-install, but it's really annoying to do that every single time I need to make a billboard.

The pictures are converted into .dds using a program called ImageConverter Plus, and they're 2048x2048. Making them 1024x1024 doesn't work either.

Do any of you know what's going on?

Thanks for reading this
-Jonathan

I just tried re-installing again, but it still crashes! Seriously, this is getting really bad now, because I really need to make those billboards!

I need answers ASAP.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2012, 04:25 PM by Wrathborn771.)
07-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Find
Wrathborn771 Offline

RE: Model-/MaterialEditor crashes when trying to create a billboard! D:

It works just great with the old billboards I have. They're converted in the exact same way, no difference except the picture itself. WHAT IS WRONG!?
07-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Find
shadowZgamerZ Offline

Threads: 3

It's most probably that you did not create .mat or .dds file properly. Same problems happen when opening folder with custom model (penumbra model in my case) that is not converted proprely or at all in LevelEditor! The way I convert: open material editor, open .mat file, change diffuse texture, save as newmaterial.mat or overwrite existing one. I didn not convert billboards. Do they have

.dae and .ent! You dont need .dds for material editor, you can use .jpg/.jpeg also!

If billboards have .dae and .ent try doing this: open .ent of billboard, add mesh .dae, add body, remove collision or make without body and save. Does your error occure in Material Editor, Model Editor or Level Editor? If there is something else problem, give more information about problem.

Project: Another Penumbra Story - Chapter 1 - Deep Underground
Level Editor: 18%, Scripting: 8%, Gameplay: 3 hours or more!
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 10:29 AM by shadowZgamerZ.)
07-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Find
Wrathborn771 Offline

(07-29-2012, 10:03 PM)shadowZgamerZ Wrote: It's most probably that you did not create .mat or .dds file properly. Same problems happen when opening folder with custom model (penumbra model in my case) that is not converted proprely or at all in LevelEditor! The way I convert: open material editor, open .mat file, change diffuse texture, save as newmaterial.mat or overwrite existing one. I didn not convert billboards. Do they have

.dae and .ent! You dont need .dds for material editor, you can use .jpg/.jpeg also!

If billboards have .dae and .ent try doing this: open .ent of billboard, add mesh .dae, add body, remove collision or make without body and save. Does your error occure in Material Editor, Model Editor or Level Editor? If there is something else problem, give more information about problem.
I clearly told you in my first post that I converted png-files to .dds and then opened in MaterialEditor and made it a solid difuse > difuse and it worked. But when I try to do it nowadays it just crashes when trying to go into the billboards folder. Do you have a solution?
07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Find
shadowZgamerZ Offline

Threads: 3

Try reinstalling amnesia or tools or some last file you have done before crash There could be file in billboadrs folder that is not made properly so Material Editor cannot load. Those stuff happen i Level Editor when stuff arent made right way! Try reinstalling stuff, or removin last billboard you have done!

Project: Another Penumbra Story - Chapter 1 - Deep Underground
Level Editor: 18%, Scripting: 8%, Gameplay: 3 hours or more!
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 10:14 PM by shadowZgamerZ.)
07-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Find
Wrathborn771 Offline

(07-30-2012, 10:12 PM)shadowZgamerZ Wrote: Try reinstalling amnesia or tools or some last file you have done before crash There could be file in billboadrs folder that is not made properly so Material Editor cannot load. Those stuff happen i Level Editor when stuff arent made right way! Try reinstalling stuff, or removin last billboard you have done!
All previous billboards works just fine, but the new ones don't. I convert them to .dds using the same program with the same settings, what can be wrong?
07-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Find
Wrathborn771 Offline

I finally found a solution! Big Grin
I previously had a folder called 'custom' inside the billboards folder, where I saved all my custom billboards. I made a new folder inside 'custom' and saved the new ones there, and that worked! Big Grin
07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
Find