Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modeling question
MaGicBush Offline

Threads: 3
Modeling question

I have been playing Amnesia a lot and thought I might dive into the the modding scene. I have experience coding so think I could pick up scripting quickly as well as a story that could be good, and I have experience level editing from HL1 and HL2 source mods. My main problem is modeling as I have no experience at all in modeling. If I was to start learning modeling and start working on decent model replacements how long do you think it would take? I am assuming a month or so to learn the basics and start making sound models am I wrong in that assumption? I know it varies person to person however I tend to pick up things pretty quick if I teach myself with practice. I have no issue accessing the modeling programs like 3DS max, etc(been going to school for networking and for some reason I get 3DS max and some others free at my college). I would assume it would be much easier to get a modeler to help me, however I don't have any friends interested in it and finding a random person online seems like a much harder task than me learning it myself(getting someone to stick with it throughout development, someone decent, etc). So mainly just curious how long it would take an average person to learn to model decently.

Also how likely are people to dislike a custom story without custom models? If I just scripted and level edited a new mod with a good story are people here likely to not play because of not having custom models(new to the online portion of the game obviously)?
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 03:20 AM by MaGicBush.)
07-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Find
Measuring Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Modeling question

(07-30-2012, 03:15 AM)MaGicBush Wrote: I have been playing Amnesia a lot and thought I might dive into the the modding scene. I have experience coding so think I could pick up scripting quickly as well as a story that could be good, and I have experience level editing from HL1 and HL2 source mods. My main problem is modeling as I have no experience at all in modeling. If I was to start learning modeling and start working on decent model replacements how long do you think it would take? I am assuming a month or so to learn the basics and start making sound models am I wrong in that assumption? I know it varies person to person however I tend to pick up things pretty quick if I teach myself with practice. I have no issue accessing the modeling programs like 3DS max, etc(been going to school for networking and for some reason I get 3DS max and some others free at my college). I would assume it would be much easier to get a modeler to help me, however I don't have any friends interested in it and finding a random person online seems like a much harder task than me learning it myself(getting someone to stick with it throughout development, someone decent, etc). So mainly just curious how long it would take an average person to learn to model decently.

Also how likely are people to dislike a custom story without custom models? If I just scripted and level edited a new mod with a good story are people here likely to not play because of not having custom models(new to the online portion of the game obviously)?
Learning modeling takes alot of time and effort. But it is alot of fun to do! And i encourage you to learn if you have an interest in it.
With that said, No, people do not dislike mods without new models. If you got a good storyline and make some well scripted maps, then people will most likely enjoy it!

The Facility
Tenebris Lake
Killings In Altstadt
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2012, 03:33 AM by Measuring.)
07-30-2012, 03:26 AM
Find
MaGicBush Offline

Threads: 3

Thanks for the tip Measuring, I am used to game creator communities getting mad over reusing models/textures so was curious here. I think I will work on the mod and if at some point after the scripting/editing is done and it goes well I may try my hand at modeling. One step at a time Big Grin, thanks for the help!
07-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I'd actually say that in general I prefer mods without custom models, simply because when people are so caught up in making new models and just throwing in more new stuff the overall quality of the story goes down. Though when done right, it can add a lot to a good story.

Posting Freak
07-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

About a month to pick up the basics sounds about right, however it takes years to actually get to the point where you creations look really good.
07-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Find