Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning the scripting
MaGicBush Offline

Threads: 3
Learning the scripting

I am familiar with programming in Java(very basic only modded Minecraft some), Basic, GM, and DM as I made games using those. I just found out this game uses C++ for the scripting language(I was thinking for some reason it used Java in my last post). Is Angelscript something where I would actually need to learn C++? I tried to learn that at one point by self-teaching and it was very hard for me to understand so I didn't get anywhere with C++ and to go further I would probably have to take a class which I do plan to do down the line as an elective for my networking degree but that's over a year from now. I would like to work on a custom story I have in mind but I am hoping the scripting is not as hard as it seems. Looking over some of the scripts I don't understand how the arguments work at all, but I do understand the syntax used and basics like loops, variables, and if statements. Though I am confused what the "Void" is in front of a lot of lines, and some other things as well. Is there a good starting point for me with the knowledge I have to Amnesia scripting someone could point me to? I have no interest in learning C++ at the moment as I would just like to spend a few days learning, but since this just seems to use functions I don't believe I need to really though I could be wrong. Thanks for any direction or help on the matter!
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012, 03:34 AM by MaGicBush.)
08-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32
RE: Learning the scripting

While AngelScript is written in C++, the scripting language for it doesn't require that you write C++ code. It is much, much simpler than C++. If it required writing C++ code, i can guarantee you there would be less than half the amount of custom stories out there now (though the quality of the custom stories would (should) be great).

However, someone who claims to come from Java saying that they are confused by the return type "void" when Java itself has this very same thing and under similar situations, i find odd. Even Java is far more complicated than the scripting language used by Amnesia. The Dev Wiki has quite a few scripting tutorials (most articles made by those who weren't experts at the scripting language). The Development Articles section of the forums is another place you may want to look at.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-03-2012, 03:46 AM
Website Find
MaGicBush Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Learning the scripting

Thanks, wasn't sure how advanced in C++ the tutorials were and have not had a chance to look at those yet. I will check them out, honestly I have never had to use the "void" in front of a line of code before when I modded Minecraft(though as I said I was a beginner and modded only simple things) so was unfamiliar with it's use here. Anyways thanks, guess all I can do is check the wiki out and go from there and was bored at work.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2012, 05:16 AM by MaGicBush.)
08-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Find