Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The model editor and Poly surfaces
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
The model editor and Poly surfaces

Hello everyone. Well, the case is that i was going to enter in the modeling world, and my main objective was to modificate the Brute, but it doesn't seems to be so easy as i thought. First, i tried to make something less complicated (A post with a sphere, actually without an use). The main problem is that in other entities i saw Poly surfaces, but the model editor doesn't let you put a "poly surface".
What I have to do? Huh May i use another program? The material editor, or something? I'm made a mess. I would really appreciate help.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
RE: The model editor and Poly surfaces

They are called PolySurfaces because that is the name of the mesh model made in programs such as Blender, Autodesk Maya, and 3DS Max. You can title meshes in modelling programs and that's why you're seeing "PolySurface", as it's the default name.

You can not 3D model in the ModelEditor. The ModelEditor is there to turn models (.dae) into usuable objects, puzzle objects, items, enemies, etc. Without them (.ent), a model is a static_object.

If you want to jump into modelling, you're going to need to install either Autodesk Maya 2011, 3DS Max, or Blender. I don't recommend Blender though, as it is freeware that often is hard to work with or causes model issues in rare cases. I recommend Maya 2011. I use it and it works with modelling, animating, and texturing. 3DS max can do just about the same but I hear its finnicky with animation exports.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2012, 01:00 AM by Statyk.)
08-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Thanks, Statyk. I just thought that if there was a model editor, you could do whatever you wanted. But... nothing is so simple as it seems. I will get Blender, because I want to make simple things before enemies.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(08-30-2012, 09:40 AM)Thenooblevelcreator Wrote: Thanks, Statyk. I just thought that if there was a model editor, you could do whatever you wanted. But... nothing is so simple as it seems. I will get Blender, because I want to make simple things before enemies.
The modeleditor.exe is NOT a tool used to create models, it simply applies properties to models so that the engine knows how to they are supposed to be used.
08-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Find